South of Reno Nevada (Photos)

Guys, I've eaten rattle snake before, it doesn't taste too bad. I just don't like them eating me... :rolleyes: ;)

I got those pictures a good 2 months ago, saying that they were from Badger Mountain just south of Richland, Washington. I've never come across that type of nest in Washington, though I remember them from my childhood around Sweetwater, Texas.

Someone eventually found the guy who supposedly took the pictures, and it was somewhere in Utah or Arizona if I remember correctly.

Should I buy chaps ? No shortage of opinions on that topic. Bought car insurance to day.The agent hunts Chuckers he says just about every weekend. Has spent years of time hunting in the desert. He says "Don't wast your money" Others say most snake bites occure on your hand and arms on drunk 20 year olds.

I moved to Nevada in 1980. There's been 30 years. 10 of those years has been working outside in Roadway Construction, surveying mostly and also
add to that the time spent deer hunting... Snakes have not been a problem.

Kinda depends on your hearing, I've only herd one of the 6 that have crossed my path but they where all prairie rattlers. Heck I've pocked the little devils to see if they where even rattleing =I could see them rattle but not hearem, the only reason I herd the one was because it was in the crack of a set of cement stepps going into the old schoolhouse we USED to camp in!!
Steped on one in the tall grass a couple of years ago and it was content to get out of my way....till we started shooting at it=Then it got a BAD case of the red-@ss and come over the top of the grass after us.

Should I buy chaps ? No shortage of opinions on that topic. Bought car insurance to day.The agent hunts Chuckers he says just about every weekend. Has spent years of time hunting in the desert. He says "Don't wast your money" Others say most snake bites occure on your hand and arms on drunk 20 year olds.

From this post and the other one further up the forum page Id say your a bit paranoid. I hate snakes! they give me the hee-bee-jee-bees. Yet I grew up in country where they were present. So I learned to deal with them.
I go fishing on many rivers that have some of the worst snake infested river banks in the world imo, and Im akways dressed the same way. I wear river sandles, board shorts, and a fishing vest...............no shirt or any other piece of clothing, no protective chaps, no snake boots, no kevlar. I have had way too many experiences to count where Ive stepped on snakes on the bank, or caused a shale rock slide and had snakes pass between my legs, or been waste deep in the water as a saber toothed buzz worm ''swims'' by. Snakes are not out huntin you. Theyre like most critters that want to avoid you. Some will stand thier ground, but the vast majority will get away as quickly as possible. Ive never been bit by a rattler. I also kill every single rattler I see period if I can get to it in time.
Imo the ONLY place where snake boots/chaps bla-bla-bla would come in handy is where the brush and grass was so thick you couldnt see where you were putting your feet, and even then only in known snake country.
It doesnt matter to me what snake I almost step on they ALL scare the crap out of me. Your addrenilin will spike when youve been thinkin snake all day and nothing happens untill you become complacent. Thats when youll see a snake. and your instantly 10 feet in the air flailing like fred flinstone runnin but not movin. Just train yourself to keep your head and think smart when you come back down to the ground. Gotta controll your fear and turn it into something that will bennifit you. Fear helps breed caution, but I dont buy into the whole paranoia driven snake wear.
Just keep your head on and avoid them or the areas a snake would likely be in the area your in. A big warm rock with a shaded under cut would be a good place to avoid putting your foot. Just walk farther around it.

From this post and the other one further up the forum page Id say your a bit paranoid. I hate snakes! they give me the hee-bee-jee-bees. Yet I grew up in country where they were present. So I learned to deal with them.
I go fishing on many rivers that have some of the worst snake infested river banks in the world imo, and Im akways dressed the same way. I wear river sandles, board shorts, and a fishing vest...............no shirt or any other piece of clothing, no protective chaps, no snake boots, no kevlar. I have had way too many experiences to count where Ive stepped on snakes on the bank, or caused a shale rock slide and had snakes pass between my legs, or been waste deep in the water as a saber toothed buzz worm ''swims'' by. Snakes are not out huntin you. Theyre like most critters that want to avoid you. Some will stand thier ground, but the vast majority will get away as quickly as possible. Ive never been bit by a rattler. I also kill every single rattler I see period if I can get to it in time.
Imo the ONLY place where snake boots/chaps bla-bla-bla would come in handy is where the brush and grass was so thick you couldnt see where you were putting your feet, and even then only in known snake country.
It doesnt matter to me what snake I almost step on they ALL scare the crap out of me. Your addrenilin will spike when youve been thinkin snake all day and nothing happens untill you become complacent. Thats when youll see a snake. and your instantly 10 feet in the air flailing like fred flinstone runnin but not movin. Just train yourself to keep your head and think smart when you come back down to the ground. Gotta controll your fear and turn it into something that will bennifit you. Fear helps breed caution, but I dont buy into the whole paranoia driven snake wear.
Just keep your head on and avoid them or the areas a snake would likely be in the area your in. A big warm rock with a shaded under cut would be a good place to avoid putting your foot. Just walk farther around it.

As I read this post/thread It made me remeber the time , when I was around 16 years old I had a cousin and she was probably 14 at the time anyways we were on the river in a small john boat we pulled up to a rock bluff that had a rope swing hanging out over the water. My cousin was a 100 % tom boy she climbs up the cliff while I'm holding the boat to the rock ledge she grabs the roap swing and goes for it , she hitts the water and low and behold snakes that were lying in the cracks of the rock cliff jumped off right behind her . she comes up for air and says come on it's great . Now being the tuffest 16 year old boy in town their was no way I was going to let a girl show me up so up the rock cliff I went gritted my teath and splash . I hardly had any water on me I made into the boat so FAST LOL.

I handle snakes with a hoe!!

Some folks around here handle snakes in their church. If I had to handle snakes to get into heaven then I guess I want make it :rolleyes:

BigBuck

As I read this post/thread It made me remeber the time , when I was around 16 years old I had a cousin and she was probably 14 at the time anyways we were on the river in a small john boat we pulled up to a rock bluff that had a rope swing hanging out over the water. My cousin was a 100 % tom boy she climbs up the cliff while I'm holding the boat to the rock ledge she grabs the roap swing and goes for it , she hitts the water and low and behold snakes that were lying in the cracks of the rock cliff jumped off right behind her . she comes up for air and says come on it's great . Now being the tuffest 16 year old boy in town their was no way I was going to let a girl show me up so up the rock cliff I went gritted my teath and splash . I hardly had any water on me I made into the boat so FAST LOL.

I handle snakes with a hoe!!

Some folks around here handle snakes in their church. If I had to handle snakes to get into heaven then I guess I want make it :rolleyes:

BigBuck

Now thats funny!:D. The only time I ever visited the south I was in Texas (twice) but the first time I was around Austin the ''hill country''......????? huh??? ya, anyway for flat as a pancake ground it was beautiful, especially at lake Travis. I was all ready to go for a swim, as the humidity was unbearable for this Eastern Oregon High Desert boy. It had rained (and I mean holy crap rain!!!) about 2 hrs before and one of the local boys said, ever so politely, ''Hey yankee, dont you know nuthin?!? Yall dont go swimmin in this water after a rain or your liable to become a teddy bear to a bunch of ''moccisons''. At the Yankee comment I was ready to shut his mouth for him, as I had relitaves on both sides of that war, and Oregon was a territory at the time, and some of Oregon was so sympathettic towards the Southern cause that the boys in blue wouldnt ride thru it. Well to make a long story shorter, he was tellin the truth, and may have saved my bacon. I was in his town so I kept my mouth shut, and Im glad I did. He turnned out to be a real nice guy that was lookin out for an un-educated stranger to local customs. There WERE snakes in the water that day. I learned this that evening at the Oasis- bar/resteraunt overlooking the Lake from all the folks on the river talking about snakes trying to slither into thier boat while in the water! Washed out from the rain I gathered. Thank God for Southern Hospitality. I found the guy later, and bought him a beer for his efforts. He thanked me and laughed about the ''yankee'' comment, and said I shouldve been born there as bad as my feathers ruffled at the yankee comment.:D but said Texas would probably adopt me anyway especially since Im named after Colonel Travis, and my last name is Ewing:D. Smart ***. HAHA
Snakes down there are a whole different ball of worms. I wish I remembered that guy's name, but Im sure glad he took the time to let this Oregon boy know not to do anything stupid. Great folks down there, Great food, Great resteraunt, and my goodness those Southern ladies were beautiful. But Ill never go swimming in Texas after that experience, unless Im at a pool.

Paw!!! come outside!!! I dinks we gots sum viddles fer tanite........................
....................................................ah ah ah wait a minut Paw... dah ya dinks dey bite???.....ums figrin we gud jist slap em:D

Paw!!! come outside!!! I dinks we gots sum viddles fer tanite........................
....................................................ah ah ah wait a minut Paw... dah ya dinks dey bite???.....ums figrin we gud jist slap em:D

You ok Chas?

When I was younger I never gave a 2nd thought about rattle snakes. But after watching Venom ER on the learning channel my ears perked up. Do all rattle snakes have rattles ? I stared at what I assumed was a common gopher snake once. But it had a wide head like a pit viper ? I didn't stick around to test it. I've hunted in the NV desert tons of times with out ever seeing one. Thanks every one are contributing to my thread ......

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts