South Dakotans - what did you draw in 2012

Bobcape

So far I am successful for -
27B18 - Fall River County, Whitetail (first time hunting 27B)
WR Fall Turkey
Resident special Canada Goose, Bennett County

Waiting to hear on -
15B Butte County, Antelope

Unsuccessful (again!) -
Elk
Bighorn Sheep
Black Hills Deer

This will be my first time deer hunting in 27B. Lots of accessible land available. I need to narrow down where I'm going to focus my time. Anybody have any suggestions?

Bob

Bobcape,

I too will be hunting 27B. The majority of the whitetails will be found in the southern and eastern portions of our unit. Plenty of public land, but plenty of hunters to go along with it. The walk in areas are huge, and if you don't mind doing alot of walking, you can get away from the masses.

However, they can be found just about everywhere. With the changes GF&P made to the season this year, no early season, less licenses, and no buck tags can be used for does in the late season. There ought to be a little less pressure on them.

Being as close as you are, I might suggest a trip down to try to line yourself up some private land in those portions of the unit.

Jack, from Hot Springs.

Thanks Jack! I plan on spending some preseason time down there. I've got a new springer spaniel pup that will be looking for grouse as well. Also going to try to puddle shoot some ducks before the deer season. I'll spend as much time as I can in the unit getting used to it. BTW - I'm in Rapid so it's a short run to check areas out.

Bob

Thanks Jack! I plan on spending some preseason time down there. I've got a new springer spaniel pup that will be looking for grouse as well. Also going to try to puddle shoot some ducks before the deer season. I'll spend as much time as I can in the unit getting used to it. BTW - I'm in Rapid so it's a short run to check areas out.

Bob

Good luck with the springer. My last dog was a Black Lab, and loved that water and hunting in general.

Yeah, I checked your profile before posting so I would know how much detail to put in my post. We're used to you "city folk" invading our area. Just messing with you.

Have a great fall/winter.

I drew my first west river deer tag in 15A (any buck). We are supposedly hunting with a guy out there my brother in law knows, but that's about all I know (somewhere east and a little north of Belle Fouche) What are the deer conditions out there? Good numbers? Mulies? anything you could add would be appreciated. Thanks! Scott

I drew my first west river deer tag in 15A (any buck). We are supposedly hunting with a guy out there my brother in law knows, but that's about all I know (somewhere east and a little north of Belle Fouche) What are the deer conditions out there? Good numbers? Mulies? anything you could add would be appreciated. Thanks! Scott

Scott,
Two things I recommend to get started - first get a SD Hunting Atlas (free from the GFP website) and second go here
and download the SD GPS file that shows unit boundaries and public access land, it's free also.

Deer numbers look good this year. I have hunted unit 15B (across the road) several times but never 15A. Study the Atlas for accessible areas and call the GFP Field Agent for the area. It's listed on their website. If you can hunt during mid-week you will see more quality animals. Good luck.

Bob

Black Hills whitetail doe.

Black Hills Turkey

Archery East river buck, Archery West River buck, statewide doe tag.

Pennington Any deer and doe unit A08, I might pick up a C tag for whitetails and another whitetail for A.

Should draw a East river unit 23 buck tag. Possibly a Sand Lake muzzleloader buck tag and Hopefully a muzzleloader buck tag statewide.

Probably will get a west river turkey tag or two also(rancher is going to shoot us otherwise)

Might go elk hunting in Colorado.

Turned down on:

Elk, in Custer state park, out ,prairie, and archery out of park and in park.

Sheep

Goat

I'm going to be pretty busy shooting rifle and bow the next couple months getting ready. One of my 270wsm's is awaiting a bedding job and I just got my 7mmRem mag back from being re-stocked. Lots of load development to do and I need a new range finder as mine disappeared along with 2 pairs of earmuffs and a wind meter..

I got the email from Game & Fish yesterday about the deer tag buy back. I drew 49B, Meade county, in the leftover draw. I'll sell it back to them I guess. Didn't know EHD was having such an impact up there. I should be OK in Fall River county. No reports of a die off there. Anybody else going to return your deer tags?

Bob

Well, I think most of the EHD is in the southerly counties- especially east river. There are a few in Haakon and maybe eastern Meade co. probably along the Cheyenne river. I hunt with a state vet that does a bunch of work with deer and livestock disease. We are going to Pennington Co. by Wall. Not too far away from the areas affected. It mainly kills off the whitetails.

There was a hemorrhagic disease outbreak in the northern counties not too long ago.

I did draw a 23 Duel co. tag but missed the Sand Lake tag and Statewide muzzleloader buck tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.