South Dakota prairie dogs

Mark Hampton

I will be heading to Sundance, Wyoming in June. We will be driving from Missouri going through South Dakato. I would like to spend 2-3 days shooting PDs and looking for recommendations on where to go or outfitters. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Contact the SD fish and game department. There are a lot of national grasslands to hunt on. However there are seasons on that land. Also contact the Indian reservation. They will give you a list of landowners that let people hunt pd's and tell you how large the pd towns are on those lands. Most often you will pay $50 per person per day. There is nothing better than spending a couple of days shooting Sod Poodles. Good Luck.

Great idea, I'd do it. I would join the Varmint hunters asso. Their magazine has some good points of contact. Also WY is an option for dogging. Start stocking up plenty of frangible ammo for your varmint gun.

We don't have any pasture poodles left here in SoDak.........I shot them all this summer. Or tried too at least.

If takeing I80 out and heading North would work for ya I can help with the prairie dogs.......Kinda figureing on heading to Sundance myself in June :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.