South Dakota Pheasant place to hunt

Are you wanting to hunt on public land or go with a outfitter? If hunting public land it is tough to beat mobridge. Right on lake oahe and has so much core land you could not walk it in a whole year. If you want a guided trip pm i know a place that would show you more Wild pheasants than you can dream off. Either way i would come a little later in the year like mid december because all the fair weather hunters are gone. And deer season is over.

I was out ice fishing today and around mobridge i only saw about 800 pheasants on public land so thats a start

Come in december and you will see a couple thousand a day. If you come and need a place to stay i know a lodge that is right in the middle of all the public land and is same price as motels to stay at. Pm with any questions and i can get you set up.

small game $110 for 2 five day periods i think you can run them all together if you want to.

I realize you said "public land pheasant hunt" but just in case, and for others reading this thread...here is the website of a first class South Dakota pheasant operation that hunts all wild birds on some really great land. Last year their pheasant hunters took over 1,000 birds.

And again for others reading this pheasant hunting thread, they also offer BIG whitetail deer hunts as well as predator hunting. Jim See and I are heading out there tomorrow to hunt coyotes. I'll report back after my hunt.

Sportsmans Acres Pheasant Hunting

They hunt pheasants and deer on several farms totaling 12,000 acres just south of Mitchell, South Dakota.

Look in the right hand corner of this page to see their ad.

Last edited:
If you are wanting to pheasant hunt now you have no choice. You have to go to a preserve. Not just any outfitter but one registered as a preserve. The regular season has been over for two months but you can preserve hunt until the end of March.

Just found this thread, imagine that.

Well the coyote hunt did not provide any coyotes. That time of year the dogs are looking for dens and the temps were on the warm side. We did a half a dozen sets with no shows. The ice was breaking up and the flocks were heading north. The river bottom was full of deer and migritory birds. I was amazed at the numbers of pheasants we seen that came thru the winter looking none the worse for ware. These were truly wild birds and The guys had food and cover plots along the river bottoms. The time they put into the pheasants really showed.

We did get to look over the Sportamans Acres lease, and I can tell you it is an awsome piece of property. The river valley is about a mile across at the top of the ridges and about a 1/2 on the flats. We spent a considerable amount of time on the bluffs watching the wildlife, nature at it's best.

I did take a poke at a varmit walking the river bank, and Len was happy to call my miss. That kinda started a little fun shoot.

Len put a first round center hit on a 3moa rock at 1050 yards with the 243AI with a 5-7 mph wind. Then the show off quit for the day!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.