Source For Targets

SHRTSHTR

I will be doing load developing, 1 or 200 yard zero and drop charts out to a 1k. I would like to know what you use for 100yard zero and if you change to larger targets when going further distances.

Scopes will be NF 5.5x22x56 NPR1.

Rifles, 300 WM, and 338 Lapua

I use the same target, as long as the reticle doesn't cover it up so much that I can't see the aimpoint. until I get out farther than 500 yards or so. Then I use whatever is handy (sometimes I'll paint a dot on a piece of cardboard etc.

I normally just print some targets from :
Free downloadable targets for 6mm BR Norma and 6BR benchrest and Long Distance shooting. Targets for 100 to 1000 yards and varmint hunting.

The one I like for closer shots (up to about 500yds) is http://accurateshooter.net/targets/targetaccshooter.pdf

I like hanging 5-6 of these targets (each page has 3 targets). Then I won't need to continually go down to the backstop and paste over the holes.

Hope this helps,
AJ

+1 on AJ.

I actually use a regular piece of 8.5x11 paper with zero's drawn on them w/ black marker. I have some trouble with my color acuity so I prefer the simple black white contrast and I make the circles big enough so I can see a little white around the crosshair to be sure that I am centered on the target. for 100 yards and a 16.5 power scope I usually make the hole about .75 inches or so and for 200 yards it ends up around 1-1.5 inches. When I go to 5 hundred to 700 I just use something like a piece of painters tape or a black painted dot around 3 - 5 inches or so. Seems to work for me.

As for the zero, I sight my 300wsm in for 1.8" high at 100, .5 high at 200 that way the bullet is well in the kill zone out past 250 and when the shots get farther, then I have to start to adjust for tradjectory.

Hey SHRTSHRT

For the longer ranges I have started making my own targets. It is really frustrating to not be able to tell where you are hitting at the longer ranges and have to wait for a ceasefire to go out and look so you can make adjustments.

I get a package of 3 pieces of foam board (30"x40") from Office Depot for about $15.00 and cover them with a clear plastic that is adhesive on one side called Carpet Mask. I don't know where you could get a roll because our warehouse has pallets of them. Apply the plastic and paint it black. When you shoot it will be clearly visible

RL25-98.jpg

like a Shoot-N-C. In that target I was also using the Shoot-N-C target but in the future I will be using just a 1" orange dot because the holes in the plastic are more visible than the Shoot-N-C

RL25-975.jpg

The foam boards just pop off and are reusable and I have been through 4 range sessions using the same targets. You can use the small round covers with the Shoot-N-C to cover the bullet holes or just carry your can of spray paint down to the target and repaint. Saves money in the long run.

Plain white paper from anywhere with a few orange dots that can be bought inexpensively from Staples or other stationary stores.

Any black at all on a target face just makes it harder, if not impossible, to see bullet holes. White target paper and orange dots show holes easily. Obviously the Birchwood Casey targets are an exception but are much more expensive,

Most of the time I use photostat paper. If you can make photostats for free at the office then you can print a thin graph on them and just put an orange dot in the middle. Almost cost free.

For long distance just use larger paper, butchers wrap or other, and larger dots if needed.

I think you guys have solved my target questions :D

AJ, I really like the target from "Accurate Shooter" Hanging multiple targets is a very good tip for a wannabe.

Woods, We use the plastic carpet runners at our lake house. This stuff is very sticky and would work great as you suggested for longer ranges. I would like to find some 3-6 inch Orange stickers for 500 yards plus. Will be heading to Office Depot soon.

Britz, I am color blind and wear glasses, I have the same problem. Last night I found a cool target and what seems to be a fun alternative to shooting 3-5 shot groups at a 100 yards. Here is a link to a thread over at Snipers hide. I think this would be a good gauge to test you and your rifles capabilities. Can't wait to give it a try.
Practical Tactical Practice - Avoiding Group Shots - Sniper's Hide Forums

Thanks again to all for your help.

Ray

Varmint Hunter

The black paint flakes off of the plastic covering exposing the white poster board underneath.

Your idea sounds very good and I'm sure that it works fine. For me, I just prefer targets that are more convenient to carry and use. I normally use many targets during a single shooting session.

I would add that when target shooting in the field I use "T" signs which are made of corrugated plastic (like the stuff used for the mail service bins) and have thin metal legs that can easily be pushed into the dirt. Realtors and contractors use this sign material too so it's usually easy to find. I just tape a paper target over the plastic sign board because holes are difficult to see in the self-healing plastic. Several "T" signs weigh almost nothing and can easily be set out at various distances.

I prefer as simple a target as possible, I use these:

P2230006.jpg

and just thicken up the cross a bit as I get further out

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.