Sort of stuck case in chamber

I didn't see anything

Attachments

• 2013-03-08_17-03-25_862.jpg
    2013-03-08_17-03-25_862.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 82
But it does look like the bolt is contacting the chamber....from bottom to the left side about 9 o clock

Attachments

• 2013-03-08_19-31-00_914.jpg
    2013-03-08_19-31-00_914.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 103
Looking at the bolt, I can see that it's had some serious trauma more than once! To be exact, I think it's time to replace it. Now the bolt contacting the end of the barrel is a bad thing 97% of the time (there is the "cone bolt" setup used in benchrest shooting).

Here's what I'd be doing:

* remove the barrel, and with a depth micrometer, I'd measure the counter bore that round headspaces off of. Looks way too deep to me. Should be .220" +.000/-.003" roughly. But some folks cut the counter bore a little deeper to make the round headspace on the shoulder. If this is the case the the chamber has been cut too deep from looking at the photo. Better yet would be to get a .300 Winchester headspace gauge to see just what you have

* back to the bolt. Looks like it's been hammered front to back and also sideways. I'd replace it with an after market one. Have them set it up for an M16 extractor while doing this

* Looks like it's time to think about doing a barrel setback; no matter what. I'd set the shoulder back about .88", and cut new threads and a new chamber that will headspace to the new bolt (I just wouldn't reuse that bolt!) You could maybe rechamber the barrel to .300 Jarrett or .300 Ackley if it would fit (a .300 Jarret is nothing really but a necked down 8mm mag case or a sharp shoulder .300 WBY mag)

* I would at least take the reciever (stripped) and the bolt (stripped) to a good heat treat shop and have them x-rayed and checked for cracks. Might save your life.
gary

Hello all...been using your sight for tons of great info but now I have a problem I can't seem to find the answer to...
300win mag with hand loads 76.2 gr r-22 with 168 sst...twice fired hornady brass

Here is the problem, I use FL die to theoretically neck size leaving a small donut on the case neck..today after firing it would take a second of so for the cases to pull out of the chamber...bolt lift was normal and they chambered smoothly with a touch of resistance when closing. I just couldn't cycle the bolt quickly I had to wait for the case to release, whenit did it came out very easily...I'm wondering if this is a problem with die adjustment or maybe a dirty chamber? Oh and only fired from this rifle Rem 700....any comments would be greatly appreciated

take a few fired, but unsized cases and measure the O.D. just above the band on the O.D. Should be about .513"-.515". Now measure the same cases after sizing them. If your much over .515" you have a problem. Most dies will not resize case that close to the band. Inovative Technologies sells a die that will resize the lower portion of a magnum case.
gary

Gary,
This rifle I bought last year from a friend that won it in a raffle...it was still new in the box!! I have only fired 63 rounds through it...60 on the bench and three this past hunting season. Could this be a factory defect

Gary,
This rifle I bought last year from a friend that won it in a raffle...it was still new in the box!! I have only fired 63 rounds through it...60 on the bench and three this past hunting season. Could this be a factory defect

looking at the bolt head tells me that I wouldn't shoot it. Also the case looks like it is seating too deep in the barrel, but might just be the way the photo came out, and that's why I said the measure the counterbore. I just want you to be safe more than anything else. I might add that I actually kinda told you wrong about measuring the depth of the counterbore. It will be a combination of of the face of the bolt to the bottom of the counterbore, plus whatever the gap is between the barrel and the end of the bolt. Eitherwya the bolt should never contact the end of the barrel as this will create some seriously bad juju
gary

::I appreciate the concern for my safety for sure...I will be taking it to a gunsmith before I shoot it again.... thanks for all the advice

I've had a similar problem loading .308, my expander ball in my sizeing die was to small ( diameter) and the projectile was being forced down the neck causing this bulge, I changed the expander ball for one that measured closer to the projectile , there wasn't as much neck tension but it seemed fine, I unloaded all the rounds, resized full length and reloaded, it restored all my brass, and would cycle flawlessly, IMO use the proper die for the desired job and still double check the manufacturing

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.