Sometimes "Functional" can be sexy......

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
I had a customer contact me around the first of the year wanting to get a rifle made for his better half which is always a cool thing to do for your girl. Got to be really serious to give a lady an accurate rifle!!! LOL

Anyway, wanted light weight so she could pack it around easily but still be accurate for decent range shooting and in a chambering that would be comfortable for her to shoot and still adiquate for bull elk.

THe kicker was she is a lefty which always throws a wrench in the receiver selection.

Well, we had a hick-up or two but I finished up the little rifle this week and will range test it this weekend for load development.

ImportedPhotos00000-10.jpg

ImportedPhotos00001-7.jpg

ImportedPhotos00002-7.jpg

This rifle was made for function more then flashiness but I have really come to like this little rifle. Here are the specs. Because of the left hand nessecity, we went with a stainless Savage M116 receiver to start off with.

270 Winchester chambering
Stainless Savage LF M116
Fully accurized
Holland Comp recoil lug
Lilja #4 1-10, 25" SS barrel
Bead Blasted matte finish
McMillan Savage Classic Edge stock
Pillar bedding

Again, nothing flashy but it works and works well. Light weight at around 7 lbs bare rifle weight and in a proven chambering that is more then enough for elk with todays bullets and will not kick the hell out of the lady on the trigger.

With all the flashy rifles we see today and all the ones I build on hyper performance huge magnums, its good to set back and build a rifle that is more traditional and perhaps boring to some. For an everyday packing rifle, I could not think of a much better choice for this level of rifle.

If the weather holds out I will be range testing this rifle this weekend. I head the rifle will be used to fill a VERY good elk tag in a BIG BULL area here next month!!! Hopefully we will have some pics with with the lady and her bull here soon.

Great looking gun as usual. She's one lucky lady to not only have someone that cares enough to get her set up right but he also went to the best to have her gun built.;)

Looking forward to some great bull pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.