Some pics of groups, and some questions...results from this morning...

Re: Some pics of groups, and some questions...results from this mornin

I tend to agree with rem as far as flyers go. I have custom built guns that sure don't have as many flyers, or they aren't as big with the custom guns. I can shoot them side by side and get good groups with the custom rigs, and get a flyer with the factory.

you are probably right as far as load development goes...I think once I get a better load worked up, then the flyers "should" diminish...I hope

I'm definatly not saying that I don't screw up, but it seems to me that there are more shots out of the factory tubes that cannot be explained when compared to my other guns..

your thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
There are no flyers. Just examples of what happens when something among all those variables added up to make that shot go where it did. It's my opinion that people cause more undesireable shot hole locations than equipment or the atmosphere does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bart, you're right on the money as usual. It happens to all of us. When I evaluate a load, I usually dismissed those errant flyers and misplaced shot as operator error. I seldom blame my rifle and my loads.

My problem with flyers is that sometimes they are just to big to be "operator error" over and over and over again. Especially when its with different loads, same techniques, usually same shot #3. Customs just dont seem to throw flyers out as much, or surely not as far. When I get 2 shots touching, then throw a 3rd shot 1 or 1.5" away, come on, I know for a fact I did not pull that bad. Especially when it does it over, and over, and over....Maybe 10% of factory guns will be 1 holers, then maybe another 10-20% may shoot .5" moa consistently, the rest will have flyers usually very very often and theres not really anything you can do about it. THis is just what I have found with factory rifles. Its all I have ever owned, shot, and loaded for and I have countless flyers that happen regularly with loads. I just stop trying to get rid of the flyer and take the fact that with a factory barrel, what more can you expect?? YOu cant expect them to be 1 holers all the time. It took me years to realize that.

side note, Rem 06' we should get togather sometime, and go shoot at some sage rats. I know your leaving soon, but maybe before then?

I'm not leaving anymore, I ended up not leaving. I did not want to be driving a fuel tank in the sandbox. I decided I was just fine where I'm at. Also did not want to leave the northwest and leave my long range shooting and hunting. Sounds great to get together and shoot sometime. I have weekends off, so when the weather starts to really warm up, we should decide on a place and a date.

Mike/Tx quote "Also you better keep those ears covered, that ringing will deminish over time if you don't, but the tone in your wife's voice will increase at about the same rate."

yes, I usually use both plugs and muffs, but my wife came out to hang out outside with me, and she was using my muffs, and I didn't bring the other pair. I had plugs in, and thought I was fine until I took them out when I was done shooting, and hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, thats kind of what it sounded like. oh, also throw in a little ringggggggggggggg.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do hunting? do you guys wear plugs hunting? anyone use the electronic muffs for shooting or hunting, are they good?

[ QUOTE ]
Customs just dont seem to throw flyers out as much, or surely not as far. When I get 2 shots touching, then throw a 3rd shot 1 or 1.5" away, come on, I know for a fact I did not pull that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

WoW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif that's exceptional. I can't tell for the life of me whether I pulled a shot or not until I analyzed the target thoroughly. Below were samples of a pulled shot and a wrong cheek placement. Obviously a shooter error. By the way, the groups were from my Gruning Precision built Tactical Rifle.

The target from the left 5 shot Federal Gold medal Match 168 Sierra GK on the right 168 Nosler Comp J-4 handloads. These are 100 yard groups
IMGP0366.jpg

I will try to get some of his notes tomorrow. If I do, I will post them tomorrow evening.

My bud and I both picked up a set of the electronic's for about 89 bucks that work fine with both his 300, and my new 270 AM. I do have to admit though, I made a shot on a hog yesterday in thick woods, and didn't have them on. I know deep inside that it should have rung my ears, but after the shot, I didn't notice anything unusual, nor did I feel the bone crushing effects of the blast like I did with his 300. I think his are the Peltor Tactical 6S, and mine are Radians. They aren't the top of the line by any stretch, but suffice for what we use them for so far.

You can bet that I will have them with me when I get serious about busting some long range hogs. When I shoot the big bore pistols, I generally wear both while on the range, but seem to never have either when in the field. There have been times when I got a decent ringing but not to often.

[ QUOTE ]
I will check the bedding again. recoil lug does have room in front and on the sides.

I think I will start shooting 4 shot groups, and that may help a little more.

How often do you guys clean your big guns while shooting? is there a certain # of shots before you clean? kind of a benchmark people go by?

[/ QUOTE ]Good comments, questions...here's answers, comments.

Bedding; the bottom of the recoil lug must not bottom out. When it does, the bottom, front part of the receiver won't be held down solid and perfect in its part of the epoxy. Always have 1/32nd inch of tape on the lug's bottom before putting the metal in the gooey epoxy. The front and sides should have full contact; that helps prevents receiver twisting (especially on round ones like Remington and Savage) and front-back movement.

Number of shots in a group; the more the merrier....er..I mean meaningful. Statistically speaking, one needs at least 15 shots in a single group if one expects it to be at least 80% reliable; that is at least 80% of the groups will be smaller than a 15-shot one is. And if one shoots enough shots in a single group, it will be a one-hole group...even if it's at 200 yards and 4 inches in outside diameter. I talked with one of the ballistic engineers at Lake City Arsenal years ago about testing ammo for accuracy. We talked about what's called the 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 percent rule; 40% of all the shots will go inside the middle 40% diameter of the whole group, 30% inside that and the next 30% which means 70% of all shots will go inside the 70% diameter of the whole group. Adding the next 20% means 90% of all shots will go inside 90% of the whole group's diameter. And of course 10% of the shots will go outside the 90% circle but inside the group's diameter. This is very obvious if you shoot 200 to 300 shots per test group, determine group center, then calculate the mean radius each shot is from the actual group center. Speaking of group centers, did anyone ever shoot four 5-shot groups, each on a different target atop one target to record all 20 shots, but using the same aiming point, then compare the 20-shot composite group to each one of the 5-shot groups? Like the man says, "Like one-hole groups? Shoot only 1-shot or 300-shot groups. Like high levels of confidence? Shoot many-shot groups." The more shots per group there are the higher level of confidence one represents what accuracy is. Any single group of less than 10 to 15 shots is not above 50% confidence; half the groups fired will be bigger and half smaller. A single 3-shot group has a very low confidence level and for ammo/rifle evaluation purposes is only an indicator that great accuracy may exist - but note that a 50-shot 2-MOA group will have several 3-shot clusters of about 1/3rd MOA each. I know, we usually don't have the resources to shoot a few hundred shots into one group to test for accuracy; that's why I use 15 shots as a compromise.

How often to clean....depends on when the ammo fouls the bore enough that you notice accuracy falling off. Some powders really cause problems in about 30 shots (IMR3031 and some AA ball powders); others will go 1000 rounds or more (IMR's 4895. 4064, 4320, 4350 and some WW ball powders {so I've been told}). I'm not aware of any powder that won't go at least 20 shots with good accuracy. Jacket (copper) fouling usually doesn't cause accuracy problems; it prevents them - especially with a rough bore that needs to have its micro pits filled in with jacket material so no more bullets will have copper scraped off them and they'll be well balanced.

although my ears hurt..)

You get you some ear protection on young man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif this is your longrange daddy talking "Don't throw away a gift " .

I hope not to have offended , but I sure wish someone had told me before it was to late . There was a lot of things I was warned about but this was not one of them. Even if I had been warned about it I am sure I would have ignored it .

Maybe so , but that is not going to stop me from hollering at you that can hear that are behind me .

My wife can hear a mouse peeing on cotton in the next room , so can my sons , wish I could .

Dang , almost forgot , the second most important part , your shooting is great !! You will have to spend some bucks to improve it much !

Get some ears /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif , Jim B.

THINK I READ SOME WHERE
if your ears ring for more than 10 min you have permanently damaged your hearing?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

and with them bad boys you lot shoot,i would do what Jim says

YOU WHAT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I will make sure that I have my plugs and muffs on next time! Those brakes are LOUD!!

on a differant note, I got the stony point tool, that measure distance from bullet seating to the lands, so I'll start playing with that. would like to hear what mike/tx finds out about his buddys 300, sounds interesting.

thanks for the cautions on the ears, I try to be careful, don't wanna lose my hearing. My dad is deaf in one ear, and he says it's not much fun.

Well I thought I posted this earlier but eveidently I had a case of cranial anal inversion.

Anyway, I sent "lovdasnow", a pretty brief note containing the info on my buds load this morning. It's a good thing I checked for sure, as I was off a little on the power charge.

Anyway for those interested here it is, the OAL is from tip to base. Remember to work up, this load isn't showing any signs of problems in this particular rifle.

185 Berger VLD seated 3.600 OACL
97 grns. H-1000
Federal 215 mag primer
3400 fps

This load shoots great out of his Sendero out to 500yds., and functions well from the magazine. He don't have any pic's of the targets mainly due to not taking any. We will both be out shooting this weekend, and I will try to remember to get some and post them up.

thanks mike, I was waiting for that stuff.

so that is the best oal that he came up with after trying diff lengths? did he happen to try any 220smk's? I might work up to that load with the 178gr A-max and see what happens.

what oal increments did he change it in to test? .05 .005, etc?

thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.