some pics from my south africa hunt

BIGGAMEHUNTER

100_1324.jpg

100_1332.jpg

0464421-R1-029-13.jpg

100_1319.jpg

100_1315.jpg

100_1304.jpg

Hi Im new here but thought i would share my pics with ya. If any of ya ever get the chance to go to S.Africa go dont hold back it was the best hunt i have ever done. I highly recommend these guys Huntershill Safaris. Looks like you guys got a very nice sight here hope i get to know some of got any ?s please ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nice looking critters and congrats on what appears to have been a good hunt... How did the misses like it??? (I assume the lady was with you.)

Baboons!!!! That's what I'm talk'n bout... I gonna go over and have a whack at some critters and a vacation in the next year or two. I plan on long range baboons with my 375H&H.

Welcome to Long Range Hunting!

Now that looks like a fun hunt!!! Welcome aboard. What cal. rifle's/handloads were you using? I would love to get a crew together to go hunt Africa. What would a hunt like that set me back?

LOL the wife was not happy at first since i just up and did this but after we got over there she loved and said were coming back (thought in my head YES)lol so in 06 we are going back Baboons are hard to hunt there eye sight is like 2 times better then ours so when they see ya they are gone we just happen to walk up on the one i got and he was only about 100 yds but by time i got the gun up and shot PH scoped him at about 475

I was using a Sako 30.06 loads im not sure i was using theirs and i cant rember what they were. the hunt i did with airfare and all my animals mounted my total is like $6500 give or take. When i go back in 06 thats what im trying to do is get about 5 to 10 buddys to go with me got 3 already put down deposit so atleast there will be 4 us thus far. the only thing that sucked abuot the hole thing is the plane ride man did that suck.

Nice, Looks like you got your moneys worth, How bout some names for those animals (I don't know all of them) What the heck is the furry thing in the second picture, It looks like one of those animals on the cards all the kids like to collect...heh And I know youve got some good stories to tell about some of those hunts.....
JD

Pic 1- Gemsbok 37 5/8 "
Pic 2- fromleft to right Duiker7",Mountian reedbuck 12", Steenbuck 8", in front Spring hair
Pic 3- Baboon Just plain BIG lol
Pic 4- Blue wildebeest little under 40"
Pic 5- Blesbok 17"
Pic 6- Springbuck 13"
not pictured Impala 24"
Kudu 50"
The spring hair is like a cross between a rabbit and a kangaroo. When it gets dark out them things are every where.
ya got some good storys trying to write it then will copy paste it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Watts is a black area of South Los Angeles.

You did real well. That Springbok is better than mine. I didn't even get a shot at a baboon, saw some, never were able to catch up with them. They are, without a doubt, one of the most difficult animals to hunt, so I'm told?

Another animal I hunted, and didn't get was the mountain reedbuck. You have a nice one, there. My next trip, I want an Oryx, yours looks like it might be a female?

I'd say you got a real good deal on the price.....and you sure hit the nail on the head about the plane ride; 27 hours of total misery. LB

edit: PS, my wife said the same thing!

I love the baboon pic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!! It would make a great caption contest.

Looks like you had a good hunt.

Jim

OK under stand now lol

Yes i got lucky on the Baboon we top over this hill and boom there they were. but did get sight of us right away and were on the move in a hurry.

My mountian reed buck that is another one that is hard to get we started hunten for the reed buck the first day and ended up getten him the last day we were just sitten and watchen the ridge caps and him and a female poped over the top oh a cap. we started to make our way to them got about 250 yds from him. I shot and thought i missed he showed no reaction as to been hit. So after climbing the rest of the way up there he was layen there. Then on the way out with the reed buck we ran in to the Steenbuck and the PH got very excited kept telling me to shot. when we walked up to him the PH kept saying HOLE SHEET he is big had him measured Taxi said he should make top 5 in book.

No my Gems is a male but very big. Thats what we thought to when we walked up that i shot the wrong one PH said i think you shot a female I kept telling him i shot the one you told me to got up to him and he was the one i was suppose to shoot. But i know what you mean normally the males only get about 35 inch and are big bases and females are long with little bases. but if you look at the pic he has some big mass on the bases.

BGH - Ok man, have you ever done it to me. You've pushed me over the edge. I've been thinking about going to Africa for a couple of years now, and your pictures have just done it to me. They are so awesome!! I've got the fever now! I'm on a mission. I'd like to really thank you for posting these pictures; it gave me the kick in the butt that I needed. Couple of questions:

First I've heard that South Africa is quite dangerous (in the populated areas). Rape and robbery are rampant. I presume you flew into Johannesburg (sp?). How did you ensure your personal safety?

Second, did your 30-06 cover every type of game animal that you hunted or did you use other calibers?

Thirdly, how long did you set aside for the whole trip from start to finish. If you had to do it differently how much time would you allow for it?

Thanks again for the truly spectacular pictures!!!!

RoadRunner,
Im glad the pics kicked you in to going I had a blast and i know you will too. As far as typing everything it would be better if i talked to you on the phone if you would like to call me or me call you no diff. just saying it would be easier that way you can e-mail me at [email protected] and we can start there and hopefully get ya everything ya need if you dont want to do it that way just let me know and we can e-mail back and forth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

as far as the easy ?s yes i used the 30.06 for everything i shot

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.