Some LR doggin with XP's

Ernie

SPONSOR
Even though the weather has not been hospitable the past two days here me and a buddy and member here decided to do some LR pd'ing with specialty pistols. LR cartridges were 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua rear grip XP and my center-grip 7mm Dakota. Quite a few near misses @ 1400-1600 yards with both and I was fortunate enough to connect on a dog @ 1454 yards. Ranging was done with a military rangefinder (Wild) and then reconfirmed with GPS.
We were shooting off of a Hart portable bench using Harris BR bi-pods.
When I set up for distances @ 2k out to 2200 yards we couldn't see hits even with his Leica spotting scope. Grass was to high combined muddy conditions. It was a good way to start the doggin season though. Temps were in the 30's with the wind running around 12 mph when I nailed the dog.
Good start to the doggin season.
Anyone else been doing any doggin this year?

It's hard for me to fathom hitting something that small at that distance in those conditions with a rifle let alone a handgun. gun)

That was some nice shooting I got a little excited when that dog went flying in the air.

Thanks Guys!
It is a systems approach.
Tannel did the original action work and Kirby did all the current, barrel, stock, bedding, and reinforcement work. Kirby also modified the Redding in-line dies and helped me choose the Dakota cartridge.

Oh no son. U guys ain't getting away that easy. I need a blow by blow description on the shot. Did the Wildcat flip him at that range? What did he do after the shot? Was the big Leupy on top? How much windage did u crank in? C'mon, pony up Bobalouie.

Steve,
Eric (ewallace) is going to have to post to tell you (blow-by-blow) how far it flipped him in the air. Recoil moved me out of the sight picture and I do not see a full FOV when shooting the Dakota, especially with a light hold.
Since I hit him in the head, there wasn't a lot of wiggling after he hit the ground.
I think it was 48 MOA vertically and 5 to 5.25 MOA windage-I don't have the rig with me at the moment to reconfirm. I didn't re-zero after the shot.

I think that when Sebastian comes this summer to shoot praire dogs after the supershoot he is going to be in total awe of what your doing Ernie. I know I am.
I'm still hoping to break 1500 yds this summer and thats with a .300 RUM. Do you know how bad you make me feel after you do that with one of your pistols. :)
:)

I think that when Sebastian comes this summer to shoot praire dogs after the supershoot he is going to be in total awe of what your doing Ernie. I know I am.
I'm still hoping to break 1500 yds this summer and thats with a .300 RUM. Do you know how bad you make me feel after you do that with one of your pistols. :)
:)

I am looking forward to meeting Seb and his wife (and hopefully you as well).
Not trying to make anyone feel bad.
Think of it this way, if it can be done with a SP, you know you can do it with a rifle. Just a matter of time in the town, decent conditions, and luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.