Some entertaining testing

grit

I had several firearms to test fire this morning. Among the bunch was an unbraked, 7.5lb, 300 RUM I needed to function test the extractor on. I didn't have a scope on the RUM.

When it came time to fire the RUM I looked around for something to point at. There was a white rock on a nearby hillside, size of a stop sign, previously ranged at 320.

I shouldered the rifle like a shotgun, letting my brain and finger work without instruction. The hard smack of the RUM hitting rock rang down the canyon as a cloud of white dust exploded off the surface. Grinning, I repeated the operation several times.

I was tickled to hit the rock about 7 out of ten times. Who needs a scope?

Hows the recoil from that thing.:) my dads unbraked 300 Rum weighs in at about the same weight scoped and shooting 180 bullets ain't fun. I've tried it.:rolleyes:

That's some sweet shooting BTW.

Hows the recoil from that thing.:) my dads unbraked 300 Rum weighs in at about the same weight scoped and shooting 180 bullets ain't fun. I've tried it.:rolleyes:

That's some sweet shooting BTW.

Personally, I brake my pellet guns. :D I'd like to suppress them.

For a few offhand rounds, it was fine. If the customer wanted me to do load work, I would refer him to somebody else. :D

It's got the triangular barrel that melts after 2 shots so I think finding a brake that will fit it won't be easy. We are actually going to shoot it tonight.gun)

I had several firearms to test fire this morning. Among the bunch was an unbraked, 7.5lb, 300 RUM I needed to function test the extractor on. I didn't have a scope on the RUM.

When it came time to fire the RUM I looked around for something to point at. There was a white rock on a nearby hillside, size of a stop sign, previously ranged at 320.

I shouldered the rifle like a shotgun, letting my brain and finger work without instruction. The hard smack of the RUM hitting rock rang down the canyon as a cloud of white dust exploded off the surface. Grinning, I repeated the operation several times.

I was tickled to hit the rock about 7 out of ten times. Who needs a scope?
That reminds me of all the scoffing I've taken over the years when people say they want to stick to scopes that go down to at least 2.5x just in case they have to shoot at under fifty yards.

In such cases I tell folks it makes no never mind just sight along the edge of the barrel and pull the trigger. Most just scoff at the suggestion.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts