Some advise on a Savage 110

Redbone,

The rate of twist for your barrel is largely dependent on the weight of bullet you want to shoot. Here is a link to the Lilja rifle barrel website:

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Caliber and Twist Rates

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, it will show you the rate of twist required for the weight of bullet you want to shoot. Remember: this is a general list for all calibers. A 300 RUM (.308 cal) shoots a 200 grain bullet substantially faster than the 30-06 (.308 cal). So all else being equal, you can get by with a slower twist than recommended. When in doubt, always go with a slightly faster twist barrel than you think you will need.

Thank you Azsugarbear, that was what I was looking for. Being new here, I cant find hardly anything I'm looking for.
Can any one tell about length? From what I've found on the matter(not much) the longer it is the better powder burn is achieved causing a faster muzzle speed. I haven't found anything pn whether or not too long has a down side? I'm thinking that 28" to 30" would be ideal for what I'm looking for? Thanks again, Tony.

There is a point of diminishing returns regarding barrel length and velocity. The Lilja website has an interesting article by the owner, Dan Lilja. He talks about taking a very long barrel (don't remember caliber) and chronicles the velocity of a specific load. He then cuts an inch or two off the length and repeats the same process with the same load. He notes the change in velocity, then cuts another two inches off and so on. It's a good read.

Choice of barrel length has a lot more to do with personal preference and the intended use of the rifle, than what length maxes out potential velocity. If the rifle is to be a "carry rifle" (around 10-12 lbs. max) that you can hump around the mountains all day, then 24" for non magnums and 26" for magnums is a good rule of thumb. If the rifle is the kind where it will be carried a relatively short distance, then set up over a large killing field (say 13-15 lbs rig), I would say 26" for non magnums and 28-30" for magnums. Some say 28" to 32" for the big 338's burning 90+ grains of powder: Lapua, Edge & RUM.

I went to the link the other night and found a lot of info. That has been very helpful. I only walk maybe a mile to and from my hunting spot, sit up 50 foot on a bluff. That spot gives me every bit of a 1000 yards to my left, and a few hundred yards to my right. Having a heavier gun isn't to much of an issue, little walk. I have a little time to do some reading, so I'm planning on it tonight.
I had my buddy pick up a rcbs rock chucker for me today, got the supreme kit. I will just scale all loads for now. I just need to decide what round to go with. The Berger seem to be what most like. I did look at Sierra match grade, but they say not to use for hunting. I will probably go with Nosler ballistic tip, since thats what I maily use now. Any thoughts on rounds? Thanks again Tony..

I like the Bergers, but not all of my rifles feel the same way. I have one rifle that just doesn't do well with them. However, it does like the Nosler Accubond - which is also a great LR round. Although expensive, Noslers new LongRange Accubond seems to hokd a lot of promise with bullet expansion down to 1,400 fps (if you can believe the advertising).

I did read the article's on barrel length's on Lilja site. I really like that site, very informative. Do you or anyone else know what match grade round not to use for hunting? I already have Nosler match grade for my .223 single shot but don't know if I can use them for hunting? I have taken a few deer with it using Nosler ballistic tip factory rounds.

Sierra Match Kings (SMK) do really well in most LR rifles and they are inexpensive. But they don't seem to perform well on game, as they are designed as a match grade target bullet. Having said that, their shortcoming seems to disappear when you get to the big 338 bullets (300 grainers). So much energy at that level that it doesn't seem important whether the bullet performs or not - it still flattens the animal. Lots of people using the 300 grain SMK and Berger OTM with great success on elk and smaller game. I'm sure some of them will chime in. If not, start a new thread on the subject and see what pops up.

As far as powders go. a lot of us prefer the Hodgdon "extreme" powders, because they are less susceptible to variations in velocity due to big swings in temperature. Most go with Hodgdon's Retumbo or 1000. Some are reporting good success with the relatively new Reloader 33. A few like VV N570.

Azsugarbear thanks again. You've been a great help with everything. I am new to actually shooting with real accuracy. The reloading is completely new for me. I will probably start a new treat about bullets, and I have a ethical question I want to pose as well. But thank you again huge help. Tony.

Just a note of caution: this board tries to stay away from discussions on ethics. It's not that posters here on LRH don't have any (quite the contrary), but rather ethics can be a very subjective topic. A situation where one hunter telling another hunter what is right or wrong can quickly become acrimonious. One cannot tell another where to draw the line. However, we are free to tell others where we draw our own personal lines. We just don't try to impose them on others. This forum has flourished largely because we try to treat everyone with respect and civility.

I agree with you. I wanted to ask about a large cat in my hunting area, but figured it might not be such a good idea. I was fortunate enough to see it up close, within 40 yards, and it never saw me. I watched it for about 400yrds before it whent back into the woods. Really was a once in a lifetime thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.