some 6mm long range questions

DanielLudwig

ok as some of you may know im looking to build a .243 Super Rockchucker to shoot some longer ranges, and im wondering what would be the optimum barrel length and twist to shoot the larger 6mm bullets?
what im looking at starts with the 105gr bergers, the 107 sierras, and the 110 gr, and maybe even 120gr wildcats. if anyone has any ideas as to what twist and barrel length would work best with each of these bullets id be happy to know. also not that im not saying i'll shoot all of these, as i imagine the 110 and 120 bullets are quite long and would require a bit more throat than the others.
thanks
Dan

not sure about the twist but would you need a long action so you wouldn't be limited buy your mag length, or will it be a SS? why the RC and not base it on the 284 case? just curious
JS

I would go with a 6-284 or 6mm-06. They will do anything the rockchucker will do, and do it with alot less fuss. If it were me i would get our guy Kirby to build you a 6mm-06. 28 inch+ heavy barrel , 1-8 twist. If you insist on a short action go with the 6-284. Both are impressive calibers. Have fun. Oh and by the way Kirby has both of those reamers. Cheers!

this rifle will be single shot, matter of fact im gonna use a stock with no magazine well at all, just to stiffen it up alil more. as for why the SRC? well it seems that the 28* shoulder would give me alittle more capacity, which in my mind isnt a bad thing, but i would like to see a side by side of the SRC, a 6-284, and a 6-'06 with a fairly heavy bullet. i figure with smaller bullets the difference would be minimal if any at all, but i think with a long barrel and a heavy bullet it would be worth the trouble to fireform. oh and i have talked to our man Kirby afew times, and if my troubles with local gunsmiths keeps up, im going to be mailing him an action...
thanks for the replies yall, and my statements are mostly just theory and opinion mind you, so if im really wrong about somethin please point it out...im only 21, lol.
later
Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.