So, should I change barrels?

Just had a thought Dereklightbulb

I seem to remember reading somewhere a while back that gain twist rifling somehow allowed higher powder charges than standard twist barrels.......if memory serves, it was due to the slower or more gradual pressure curve. Theoretically, the pressure doesn't peak as early with gain twist.??

Curious, have you went until you actually saw definite pressure signs?
Perhaps the faster powders will get you to the velocities without the signs that others have seen with standard twist barrels.

I've never read that but I think in my case pressure signs started before what a lot of the other guys are getting. The only powder I was able to get to what I would call a high charge was Retumbo with 59.0 grains. H1000 and H4831SC topped out before what most would say is average max. So, in my experience, if the gain twist has anything to do with it, it's the opposite, although Frank from Bartlein said it is not part of the equation.

I've never read that but I think in my case pressure signs started before what a lot of the other guys are getting. The only powder I was able to get to what I would call a high charge was Retumbo with 59.0 grains. H1000 and H4831SC topped out before what most would say is average max. So, in my experience, if the gain twist has anything to do with it, it's the opposite, although Frank from Bartlein said it is not part of the equation.

Well so much for my "bright thought"!:rolleyes:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that a faster powder does the trick.:)

Well, after more reading and typing and such I think I'll just keep it as is for now. I have a 7RM, a 300 RUM and a 338 Edge for the really long range stuff. Remember, I live in Ohio so I'm rather confined anyway and honestly living vicariously through you western blokes. I do have long range opportunities in KY for sure and even my own farm in Alabama but I just don't frequent my farm anymore.

I'm going to see what these 130 ABs will do in it and then try some Barnes bullets. They always seem to like top velocities in my experience anyway. I'll use it for my average hunting in KY. My brother is working on a place in southern MO for us to go also in future years.

Heck no but I would HOPE I'd get a lot more than that if I added 3-4 more inches of barrel and retested the slower juice.

There may be something about this barrel/chamber/throat that it is just a slow one. 2600 seems a little slow even for a 24" barrel. You might get another 200 fps with RL17.

That said, I would not count on much more than 25-35 fps per inch in most cases.

Barnes makes a 127 gr LRX with a high 400s BC. And here's the deal. One thing I have done a lot of is killed a big pile of deer and yes, many if not most were with archery, but my overall best experiences with DRTs has been with 2 bullets and the memories are so clear that the nosler Btip and Barnes bullets stand out far above the crowd.

So I'm seeing ableAmmo has them, Brownell's has them too so they are available. I may just order a few boxes and get those tested as well.

Try the H100V. The Hodgdon website shows it getting just under 200fps more than a max 4350, H1000 or 4831 charge. (for the 142gr SMK). I am assuming the load data is all from the same barrel.

There may be something about this barrel/chamber/throat that it is just a slow one. 2600 seems a little slow even for a 24" barrel. You might get another 200 fps with RL17.

That said, I would not count on much more than 25-35 fps per inch in most cases.

Yes sir, I totally agree. I will check my local secret place that has never failed me when it comes to powder or primers (he always had what I wanted in the past). I messaged the guy in this video some time back and I'm sure he's the one that said Hybrid H100V was the powder he was using with 130 Swift Sciroccos:

There's another guy who said his best results came from Re17

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried RL-19?

I'm actually going to try Re19 today or this Wednesday with the 130 Accubond. I did not try it with the 140. I've been trying to duplicate other's successes with the H1000 and Retumbo first. If you look at 6.5-284 on 6mmBR, the 2 top powders are H4831SC and H4350.

Dave Bruno, the guy who built it, said he used either N160 or N165 I can't remember but he said velocity was very good for a 24" barrel on the competition bench.

H100V is a relatively new powder, so there is not a lot of historical info out there. The stuff you are testing are the old standbys. So far I have found H100V to be consistent enough, but I will only have a full set of answers after and entire winter, since my loads were developed in spring and have been tested in summer. Now finally starting to cool off here in MI. I also have had a heck of a time getting CCI magnum primers, so just using regular CCI 200 primers in my 243 AI. Jan/Feb will tell how this is working when we get into late season coyote hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.