So many options, need advice

... .
I'm curious on the Remington 700, someone stated the barrel was "Practicly glued" to the stock I believe it was, who does the bedding and float make it better? I'm not even sure how to google that properly lol.
Floating removes any points of contact between the barrel and stock. Any points of contact along the length of the barrel affect it's harmonics and with heating due to repeated shots can push the barrel away from that contact point significantly affecting accuracy to the negative.

Bedding provides a solid bond all around the action that prevents the action from wrenching around inside the stock each time you shoot which too can seriously have a negative effect on accuracy.

As for pawn shops I'm going to hit some tomorrow I think, what are some of the things I should keep an eye out for to tell me if it's a stud or a dud lol. I've never owned a new weapon, but given this is something I want for long range I think it needs to be held to a higher standard than when buying it.
Be carefuly shopping in pawn shops unless you're good friends with the owners. Sometimes you can get really good deals there but that's also where a lot of junk guns end up that you wouldn't want to sell to a friend.

If you do buy one through a Pawn shop do what you can to make the deal predicated on the gun passing inspection with your gun smith before finalizing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.