So...How soon do you clean after shooting?

The only thing that is difficult about it is finding the motivation to do it.

If you live in a moist environment I'd probably get after it otherwise it could sit for a month and still not be any tougher.

I find that cleaning while the rifle is still just slightly warm to the touch - while still at teh range - to be the easiest (NOT WHEN ITS HOT TO THE TOUCH). If I can't clean within that time frame I will run a single wet patch (of KG-1) or borersnake through the bore and then clean when I get it home. My carbon solvent has no ammonia so it will not harm the bore to sit in there and prevent the fouling from turning into concrete.

As stated earlier, after that its more a question of finding the motivation.

JeffVN

Some time, how much I don't know, after the 20th shot in all of my rifles.

Usually, just before I shoot the 21st shot, which sparks the ol' memory......

I clean every 5 shots or so at the range.

I dont let anything sit around. If I am done shooting at the range then I pull out the cleaning equipment and go after it right there. That way when I get home all I have to do is put the guns back in the safe and they are ready to go next time I want to use them.

With a wife, two boys, a cat and two dogs I dont have time at home to clean the guns. I have to do it at the range before I get home.

I used to clean the heck out of my rifles (and wasted a lot of time in the process I might add). I'd clean after every range trip no matter if I had shot 5 times or 25 times. Now, except for maybe the first two or three times out with a new rifle I don't bother cleaning after every range session. The rifles I plan on using during this upcoming season haven't been cleaned since shooting them about 2 weeks ago and barring anything out of the ordinary probably won't be again until the season's over in late January. These include factory and custom barrels.

I usually like to run a couple of patches through before I leave the range, and give it some soak time on the way home. If I dont feellike finishing up the jo when I get home no biggy just run some patches through over the course of the next few days or whatever strikes my fancy. I use Butches bore shine so no problem leaving it in the bore as I do not believe that Butches will harm anything.

I use Butches bore shine so no problem leaving it in the bore as I do not believe that Butches will harm anything.

Not sure that I would leave anything in my barrel that even mentioned the word ammonia or ammonium (whatever that may be)....thats just me though. Do you realize water is the second ingredient?

Not sure that I would leave anything in my barrel that even mentioned the word ammonia or ammonium (whatever that may be)....thats just me though. Do you realize water is the second ingredient?

Actualy no... perhaps my methods may need some adjusting. However I do run all stainless barrels, and I have not had any problems to speak of yet.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.