So how should i go about getting on paper with my new nightforce?

CRNA

Soon I will be out to get my new rifle and scope lined up and on paper. I have a 20 MOA base. I have the NXS 5.5-22X56, so I have 100 MOA internal adjustments. I also have the zero stop feature. How would you guys go about sighting in at 100yds and still allowing the most MOA elevation?
It seems like the goal would be to dial in the zero while staying closest as possible to the elevation turret being turned all the way down.
Question is, what would the best process be for doing this?

Soon I will be out to get my new rifle and scope lined up and on paper. I have a 20 MOA base. I have the NXS 5.5-22X56, so I have 100 MOA internal adjustments. I also have the zero stop feature. How would you guys go about sighting in at 100yds and still allowing the most MOA elevation?
It seems like the goal would be to dial in the zero while staying closest as possible to the elevation turret being turned all the way down.
Question is, what would the best process be for doing this?

Give your statement a bit more thought.

You have no choice as to where your turret will be when zeroed. The fact that you have a 20 MOA cant on the scope will lower the zero setting 20 MOA down from where it would have been without the cant in the base.

The extra 20 MOA in the base will give you about 70 moa total elevation.

Unless you are tying to stretch something like a 338-06 w/300 Hybrids or SMKs to 1K that should be plenty.

As mentioned, you really don't have alot of choice, unless you're planning on shimming the base or have adjustable scope mounts. Zero at 100 will give you X amount of vertical to play with, but you wont know for sure exactly how much untill you get er done.

I boresight with a Leupold magnetic sighter, then shoot 1 shot at 50 yds.
I then move the scope reticle (while holding the rifle very still) to intersect the bullet hole and move out to 100 yds.

Simply shoot a 3 shot group (adjust the parallax first and let the barrel cool between each shot) and move the reticle accordingly to center of the group . Shoot another group to confirm zero and then lock in the zero stop. Now you can dial up and see how much vertical you've got left to play with internally. This is also a good time to check the actual vs advertised click increments, and test the perpendicularity of your reticle/adjustments relative to gravity or a plumb line.

Hopefully answers your question.?

Last edited:
Dial the scope turret all the way down, then back it off 2 full revolutions to account for the 20 MOA base. Then set up the rifle in a steady position on sandbags for example looking at your 100 yard target. Take the bolt out and look down(thru) the barrel and sight the barrel at your 100 yard target. Then see where your scope is looking at, and dial your scope to aim at the same point as looking thru your barrel. This will get you on paper. You know what to do from there.

Good advice stated above. You have a zero stop scope. So you will need to remove the elevation turret cap and loosen the 4 allen head screws on the clutch assembly. Then use a good fitting screwdriver in the slot to mak your elevation adjustments. Follow the zero stop direction sheet that came in the box after you are zeroed.

Jeff

if you're that concerned about it, before you buy a 20 moa base,just sight it in with a straight base and see how much verticle you have available. maybe a 30 or 40 moa base will work to get you all the ajustment that's available in the scope.

Ok. I think you guys have pointed my in the right direction. I know that I will never be able to use all of the MOAs that I have in this scope/base combo. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't zero the scope at 100yds and then have only a few MOA left of elevation. I have never had a setup this nice and there is always an abundance of information on this site by you fellas that have done this for a long time. I always try to learn from others to save my own trials.

Ok. I think you guys have pointed my in the right direction. I know that I will never be able to use all of the MOAs that I have in this scope/base combo. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't zero the scope at 100yds and then have only a few MOA left of elevation. I have never had a setup this nice and there is always an abundance of information on this site by you fellas that have done this for a long time. I always try to learn from others to save my own trials.

Glad we could help,

I agree with another post, 20 moa plus what the scope has should normally be enough for everything but really extreme range or very slow/low BC cartridges.

Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.