so here is my dilema, opinions please

joejo

so i plan on starting a new build this winter and i am having issues on caliber choice. i would like to use a short action rem or rem based action (ie stiller).
my problem is this though, i really want to do a 6.5x55 because i have a rem classic chambered in this, and i think i could easily do 1000 yards with it in a properly built gun.
does anyone know of any custom action that i can use that will feed the 6.5x55 in a short based action?

other calibers i thought of were the 260 rem and the 6.5x47 and even the 6mmbr. all of these though just don't appeal as much to me.
i know if i just go single shot the 6.5x55 will be fine for me in a short action, but i may hunt a bit with the gun so a repeater is my first choice.
i looked at the hansen actions but i just don't like the saftey design, it's the looks that bother me.

what should i do?

the optics i will be using will be the nxs 8-32. as for a stock, i am still undecided, thumbhole laminate or mcmillan? barrel will most likely be a kreiger.

Joejo,

First why do you seem so set on using a short action?
My opinion: (FWIW) pick the cartridge and build the rifle around it, and build it to do everything you want.
Just my .02
Jeff

What are you trying to get out of the 6.5? I have a 6.5 Dasher (6.5x47imp) that will run 140g bergers at 3000fps out of a 22" barrel. The improved adds very little to the parent case but does add some. It is a very impressive caliber. It runs with my 6.5-06 with 15g less powder. That is where I would go. I think it is the niftiest caliber out there until you get into the big 30's and 338's.

Steve

Joejo,

First why do you seem so set on using a short action?
My opinion: (FWIW) pick the cartridge and build the rifle around it, and build it to do everything you want.
Just my .02
Jeff

because all other calibers that i may want to go with in the future are short action. basicaly i am looking into the future under the assumption that i will need to rebarrel, and chances are i will want another caliber.

What are you trying to get out of the 6.5? I have a 6.5 Dasher (6.5x47imp) that will run 140g bergers at 3000fps out of a 22" barrel. The improved adds very little to the parent case but does add some. It is a very impressive caliber. It runs with my 6.5-06 with 15g less powder. That is where I would go. I think it is the niftiest caliber out there until you get into the big 30's and 338's.

Steve

i want to push 130-140 bergers at ~3000fps accurately. not just fire them out at speed. i also want it to shoot in the 3's or 4's at 100 yards.

Have you though about the WSMs ?

They will fit in the short actions Even the Mod 7 and 673 Remington's

The 7 WSM will push a 140 gr bullet over 3300 ft/sec.

Case capacity is + or - 70 grains of powder depending on type.

0f the 4 WSMs (270,7mm,300 and 325) I like the 7 WSM the best and in a light
weight rifle it is a great package.

Just something to think about.

J E CUSTOM

What's the hang-up with wanting a repeater so bad? I have a 260...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

It is my long-range rig for varmints (as far as I can see) and deer out to 900 yards. It is a single shot. I have no problem getting a second round in the chamber quickly.

My next build is a 300RUM and it will be a single shot. It will also be a dedicated long-range rig and a single shot.

I do not/will not feel handicapped by either of these rifles being single-shot.

Now if you're building a carry-rifle, then you will probably want a repeater. Here's my 280rem carry-rifle....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

In terms of caliber, my approach is a bit different than one stated earlier. Rather than choosing the cartridge, I choose the bullet I want to shoot, then find the cartridge that will drive it at the velocity I 'need'.

Since it sounds as though you want a 6.5mm (they are badass!) there's little that a 6.5Swede won't do. You can shoot 142SMK, 140 and 130VLD really fast (3000fps +)

To elaborate a bit on what i want:

6.5mm

short action ( bc if i want to change caliber back to my favorite,(22-250)
i won't need another action

.3's to low .4's at 100 yards, and be more than capable of shooting 1000 yards accurately. i am not a benchrest guy but i want to compete in the local groundhog matches.

prefer something that i can buy quality brass for without the need to reform

able to push a 130 berger at 3000 fps

Have you though about the WSMs ?

They will fit in the short actions Even the Mod 7 and 673 Remington's

The 7 WSM will push a 140 gr bullet over 3300 ft/sec.

Case capacity is + or - 70 grains of powder depending on type.

0f the 4 WSMs (270,7mm,300 and 325) I like the 7 WSM the best and in a light
weight rifle it is a great package.

Just something to think about.

J E CUSTOM

i have thought about the short mags but haven't really been a fan. just my opinion. thanks for the input though

To elaborate a bit on what i want:

6.5mm

short action ( bc if i want to change caliber back to my favorite,(22-250)
i won't need another action

.3's to low .4's at 100 yards, and be more than capable of shooting 1000 yards accurately. i am not a benchrest guy but i want to compete in the local groundhog matches.

prefer something that i can buy quality brass for without the need to reform

able to push a 130 berger at 3000 fps

Easy....6.5x55 Swede

It will easily push the 130VLD at 3000+ (my 260 shoots 140VLD at 3019).

The 6.5mm also has accuracy potential to shoot .4 or better (my 260 shoots .25)

Also, you can get the BEST brass....Lapua...in 6.5x55 Swede

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=37383/Product/Lapua_Brass___6_5x55_Swedish__100_ct

For the swede you will need a long action. If you want a short action then do a 26" 260 Or a 6.5x47 or 6.5 creedemore long barrel (28 +). But if you are going with a long action then do a 6.5x284norma or 6.5-06. Too many choices?

I will have to agree with RockyMtnMT on both of his posts.
If 3000fps with the 130gr VLD is your goal, then the 6.5x47 Lapua is a great choice,but you can't go wrong with any 6.5 as far as I am concerned.
I would not be worried about LA or SA as far as rebarreling later, just build the rifle you want. You will get plenty of barrel life out of a 6.5, and when it's time to rebarrel you may have change your mind on things completely..

I will have to agree with RockyMtnMT on both of his posts.
If 3000fps with the 130gr VLD is your goal, then the 6.5x47 Lapua is a great choice,but you can't go wrong with any 6.5 as far as I am concerned.
I would not be worried about LA or SA as far as rebarreling later, just build the rifle you want. You will get plenty of barrel life out of a 6.5, and when it's time to rebarrel you may have change your mind on things completely..

i just seem to have an undying love for the 22-250, so i am afraid of a long action because if i ever rebarrel it, will prob be to go back to the 22-250.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.