Sniper Rifle Advice for my screenplay

G

I had the chance to shoot the Robar SR-90 in 300Win mag , it shot the Black hills ammo into less than 1/2" at 100yds and we consistantly broke clay pigions at 500yds with it. , with a 10x scope to boot.

For a movie I would also say the robar sr90. Not only because of it's awesome accurace, but it a very cool looking weapon. The only thing is if you are talking about snipers thats not the gun you want. You should be looking into the remington line of sniper rifles the military uses with maybe the USO optics scope, or nightforce. What every you do keep intouch because I love those type of movies!
grin.gif

The M24 is still the standard U. S. Army sniper rifle as far as I know.
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifle/m24a.htm

There is a lot of info available on it on the web.

The U. S. Marine Corp uses the M40A3 now I believe. The M40A1 is now or has been replaced.
http://www.snipercentral.com/m40a3.htm
http://www.snipercentral.com/m40a1.htm

SpecOps types use other "standard" sniper rifles.

Sniper Rifles of the World internet search.
http://www.snipercentral.com/rifles.htm

Sniper rifles are not IMHO specifically designed for extreme accuracy, they're designed for a marraige of accuracy, durabilty and maintenance ease. A long range bechrest rifle should certainly be more accurate but you probably wouldn't want to literally drag it across the ground, over rocks and through streams and then rely upon it to make a one shot hit at long range... this is where sniper rifles excel, they're durable.

Greetings,
I am writing a screenplay and wuld like the opinions of hunters out there on what you consider the most accurate and long range gun on the market so that I can reasearch it for my movie.
Thanks,
Ricky P.
wink.gif

[email protected]

Is this movie going to show the rifle used in a positive way or is it going to be the typical hollywood left wing anti gun crap we see all the time?

GOOD POINT 9MM! Maybe we should atleast know how the weapon is going to be portrayed before we help out unknowingly!
confused.gif

how bout a nice marlin .22 mag with a 3-9 tasco atop. sporing a camo sling and some camo duck tape around the barrel???

Gee, I wonder if he/she would consider my opinion? Best long range snipers I know of are elected minority democrats. They may be wrong, but they're never in doubt.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Easy does it guys.

I sent a prominent gunsmith on the west coast an email on the 10th of this month and just got my reply today. That is 13 days ago. Maybe he is becoming a "winger". I'll bet he was just real busy.

This playwrite asks one guestion 5 days ago and without giving one reply to the answers is already becoming a faceless enemy.

Bad manners guys. Where is the "sniper like patience" and willingness to educate that THIS forum should be dripping with?

Has anyone even tried to use the email address that was on the original post?

And if this person was going to portray guns in a bad light then why would they bother to ask questions of profesionals.

Why would they say they were a screen writer?

Unless I was an idiot I would start asking my sneaky questions buy saying something like " Hi, I'm sorta new to long range shooting. What kind of guns do you use and what kind of ranges are you shooting at?"

Please, let me know if I'm wrong. Did anyone get a private email that let them know that our screenwriter friend was planning a full legnth movie about how we fire 60 rounds at 2000 yard prarie dogs before actually killing them? If thats the case I'll edit my post.

End of rant.

4ked Horn

There are so many personalities and experience models that when we have a group of 2,000 guys we get some of every type, and we need some of every type. Like you, I have no problem with the screenplaywriter asking questions... information is free and I try to give factual and accurate info. BUT the other good thing about having a group of folks is that we can use the group to hold each other in check... I'm more the "science type" experimenter and readily share information (too much some times
wink.gif
) with nearly everyone... folks like me will "give away the farm" so to speak and I need someone to rein me in every once in a while.

Although I agree more with your assessment of the original post I can see how a person could use the requested info for less than flattering results but no matter how the info I used I'd prefer it be factual.. I can also see the other side, that of the more cautious folks now that they have posted and tried (either intentionally or un-intentionally) to rein us "give away the farm" types. If the folks on this board were a company we'd have had a meeting and created a more cautious initial series of replies after we had these very some items Post and concerns) brought up by the various "departments". (We're just having our department head meeting after the fact as I see it now.)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts