Smoke your clothes...

AslerGamma

I've read soooo many posts few on this forum and many on others of archers and hunters smoking their hunting gear as opposed to using scent block techniques. Has anyone actually verified that this works?

I can see where it would, but would like first hand as I could see where it wouldn't.

Patrick

Do you mean wearing your clothes around a fire to get them smokey....in an effort to mask your human odor?

I'm a big bowhunter and I take the route of scent neutralizer and earth cover scent. Scent control TO ME is very important. I don't want to smell like smoke. To others, scent control isn't that big of an issue...they just hunt with the wind in their face.

You need to decide what makes YOU feel better and more confident. If you feel strongly about a certain scent control method, practice it. Let this bring comfort and confidence to you during your hunts. I strongly believe you need to read/play the wind. This is goes for rifle hunting but is even more important when bowhunting and the animals need to be close!

Good luck in whichever method you decide to use.

I used to kill a skunk and get the soles of my boots doused with the fresh skunk smell.

It won't make you popular when you go to town but game absolutely will not detect you by tracking you and will be so overwhelmed by the smell that they can walk right up to you and not realize you are a human unless you move.

I used to kill a skunk and get the soles of my boots doused with the fresh skunk smell.

It won't make you popular when you go to town but game absolutely will not detect you by tracking you and will be so overwhelmed by the smell that they can walk right up to you and not realize you are a human unless you move.

see, i had read the same thing from quite a few posts about smoking your clothes either near a fire or literally smoking them in alder or pine

For stand hunting, odor control is more of an issue. IMO, once down wind, the jugs up no matter what you use to cover your scent. I'm with Wild Rose that skunk is about the only cover that works when the animal crosses your trail or your scent is on the ground.

I don't use cover scents when still hunting. I hunt the wind.

I think all your going to do is make yourself smell like smoke. Deer may not smell your human scent but smoke means fire and that may not scare the deer but will still draw attention to yourself. I have never used any cover scent or special soap for my gear. My idea is that if you got the wind in your favor you aren't giving them the option to sniff you out and don't need it. Besides you can cover up human scent but it is still there and they can smell it. I get alot of guys out here on the ranch and they all use some sort of cover scent and i can smell it which to me means it is definatly unatural to a deer. Just my opinion but it has worked so far.

Smokin your cloths kills the bacteria that leaves the human sent, then let them air out, same as takin a smoke bath, kills the bacteria on the human body. When your out in the field and dont access to any means of washing, put them out in the sun or smoke them, won't be clean but won't be full of bacteria, the sun works better.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.