SMKs for hunting?

FullCurlHunter

I have noticed that a lot of members of LRH.com shoot SMKs...do you use these for hunting as well? If so, how do they perform at long, med and close range? The Sierrra Match King is a thn jacketed bullet correct? Or do you most guys have a different hunting setup?

Thanks!

they work great for me, they have a thicker jacket than a berger or hornady amax. this has been beat into the ground here a lot.

might want to try a searsh about this

d-a

Only killed one animal with a MK and it did fine but recent testing in dry and wet phonebooks has been inconsistent to say the least. My experience says that they may be ok out to 500 or 600 yards with magnums but further out they get sketchy and a tad inconsistent.

If I was to use a match bullet for longer range hunting, I would and have chosen the Berger VLD's. They are just a bit more frangible and open up way out there.

But for all around usage (close and far) the Nosler Accubonds are still my favorite for any big game walking this continent.

I am a big fan of the A-max for whitetail if you are not using a hot mag. The Sierra MK does seem to have a thicker jacket and if you are really big on penetration that would be your number. I always got a good large exit wound with the SMK but they seem to open much slower than the A-Max. The A-Max will give you the bang flop that I like, especially hunting around heavy cover like cutovers etc.

[ QUOTE ]
The A-Max will give you the bang flop that I like

[/ QUOTE ]

shot placement gives you the bang flop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

To begin with i was sceptical about using matchkings on game but I've shot a couple of Fallow deer with .30cal 168's now at 150y and 350y and both penetrated right through leaving a golf ball sized exit-wound and dropping the deer where it stood. I fired a couple into a wet 1.5" hardwood board (bone) infront of wet newspaper (fleash) at 200y. Both rounds penetrated ~12" even though one had lost it's core! (Retained weight was 74gr), the one that kept it's core had expanded to roughly twice it's size (.60cal) and about 1.5cm long. Something interesting i noticed when I undid the stack of newspaper was that expantion didn't seam to begin untill they'd penetrated 4-5".

For game over 500y I don't think the matchking would expand much at all at .308 velocities, so my vote would be for the A-max which seems to expand alot better although i've haven't had a chance to test them yet. But after all is said and done unless it's something like a moose or elk, I think most people would pick the bullet that shoots best in their rifle at the given distance, because like said a thousand times before a small hole where it counts is better than a big one where it doesn't.

My $0.02 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

I suppose it depends on what you hunt. When you hit a PDog with a 300g SMK out at 50 or 1000 yards, it explodes regardless. I use SMK's almost exclusively, but still use bergers time to time in my 223. The bullet that gives you the best accuracy will be more likely to hit exactly where you aimed, causing the killing shot. Using a borderline too small caliber with a match bullet is chancey at best. Jump up with your round and stay with a match bullet and you won't be following blood trails ever again. Just my .02.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.