SMK flaw

Randy Dunn

Hello Everyone,
I just bought some 300grn 338 SMK bullets to try out and I must say that I am quite surprised at the lack of quality at the tip of the bullets. It's very slight but some of the material at the tip is offset to one side. I don't have a digital camera yet or I would post a picture. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this, I'm thinking of sending them back. The rest of the bullet looks great and all fifty in the box look the same.

Thanks for any reply

This is common with the SMK and unless your shooting extreme range you will not see a major difference from this nose variation.

If you are shooting extreme range or want to persue the ultimate in consistancy, get a meplat uniforming tool.

There is nothing wrong with the box of SMKs you got, they are all that way.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

If you check those bullets for diameter with a micrometer you will probably find they are not all the same. Other caliber SMK's do not have this problem, i have only seen it 338 smk's.

Radunn,
This is a problem I am very familiar with ,I have a 338 L.M.Imp. that was built for shooting 1500 yards and beyond and was throated for the 300gr SMK . let me go over the positives and negatives of this awesome bullet.
I have weighed probably 2000 of these bullets and have NOT been able to cull even 1 for this reason (positive). the meplats (tip of the bullets) do have a bit of a problem ,but it varies quite a bit from lot to lot.so for this reason dont waste your time ( as I have ) and buy box's of fifty ,buy a 500 box (stock #9300t).
I have given you the GOOD the BAD and now the UGLY ,the meplats are not the biggest problem with the 300gr SMK the BIG problem is bearing surface lenght. right about now you are thinking "I've got to go to the hacienda and relieve myself" .
The tips (meplats) can be uniformed with a TUBB meplat uniforming tool (or the 99cent version shamelessly promoted on this forum). but the biggest varience with this bullet is bearing surface lenght. not something as easy to measure as you would think,you can try 2 stony point Ogive bushings on a dial caliper and come close but to get a true reading you have to get a bearing surface comparator.
Buy a box of 500 and segragate into 3or 4 bearing surface lengths then just turn off the high side of the meplat (dont uniform meplat all the way flat or it will decreacse B.C.more than you would think).
hope I did not ruin your day let me know if you need more info.
B

[ QUOTE ]
The tips (meplats) can be uniformed with a TUBB meplat uniforming tool (or the 99cent version shamelessly promoted on this forum).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I resemble that comment!

abinok,
Did not want to offend ,just trying to make a point.
B
p.s. just trying to bring more attention to your uniformer so you can give me a cut of the profit's

No offense taken.... ill cut you in on the profits, but their is a high initial investment required... make checks payable to the Adam needs bullets fund.
I just hope somebody will try my tool, and it will convince them that trimming meplats is worthwile enough to buy a tool, whether its tooleys, or kram's. My tool is inferior to all others... except in results to price ratio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts