Smith and Wesson 1500

fetch

Guys I have a older Smith and Wesson 1500 30-06. My understanding is, it is the re-branded howa 1500.

Accuracy and this gun should never be used in the same sentence. EVER

So in getting to the point. What can I do with this gun? Should / can I re-barrel it to a different caliber, same caliber?

Been wanting a 300 win mag, is this a good action to use?

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated

The 06 and 300 win mag have different size case heads. Your bolt has a M16 style extractor and I think that would cause you problems if you tried to open the bolt face. I'm sure a gunsmith could answer that for you.

There is a variety of wildcats based of the 30-06 case that would do quite well. My dad has his 6.5-06ai built off a Howa long action and it shoots VERY well.

Find a gunsmith that has worked with Howa's like Kevin Cram www.montourcountyrifles.com and you will have a great shooter I'm sure.

Which stock? Wood?

I have a Wby Vanguard (same rifle) that didn't shoot well until I floated the barrel and bedded the action in a B&C stock. It went from 4 inches at 100 yards to 1 1/4 at 200. It's now one of my favorite rifles.

4 inches at 100 yards are the same results that I am getting as well. I will give a new stock a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.