Small woman wants a 22 cal rifle

Iron Worker

Lady friend of mine wants a 22 cal rifle. She's 5' tall and says a Ruger 10/22 was a little bit heavy. I've advised her to look at a Marlin 795(1lb lighter) . She wants an auto ,she's a smart lady learns quickly. But i'm having 2nd thoughts about her getting an auto ? Also being's a 10/22 is heavy I'm telling her to get some shooting sticks. Do y'all think she should get a bolt action instead ?

She could look at a BL-22 (lever not an auto) from Browning, they even just came out with a "youth" version which would be even easier for her to handle. I'm not real familiar with lightweight semi autos or bolt guns, but if she was at all interested in a single shot the TC Hot Shot is great for little shooters (although she might find it too little).

Dumb question...did she just handle a sporter 10/22 or did she by chance get a hold of one of the target versions that weigh quite a bit more?

You could always customize a 10/22 to be lighter. They have carbon fiber, and aluminum barrels. You could get a light weight aftermarket stock. Savage has some semi's. Don't know the weight, but doubt they too heavy.

Tank

IMO, the Ruger 10-22 is definately one of the most reliable in the semi-auto 22's.

They can be had in all sorts of combinations and alot of companies make aftermarket parts and accesories for them. They make some amazingly accurate ones too.

If she's capable of remebering to unload the gun, then I don't see a semi-auto as an issue. That seems to be the biggest safety issue with an auto.......it's always loaded, until the magazine is empty and the bolt's locked back anyway.

Budget will be the biggest concern, If weight is the only object and price is not a problem. Get a good light stock and a mangum research carbon fiber barrel and you will go under 4.25

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts