Small ring indentation on my Bergers...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by drenge, Aug 1, 2008.

1. drenge

drenge Well-Known Member

I have a competition 7mm die set and everytime I seat my 168 gr bergers there is a small ring near the tip of the bullet from the pusher in the die...

It's not a very noticeable ring but I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong... Obviously there is too much pressure. Am I not neck sizing properly? Do I need a special pusher for the ogive of the bergers?

:mad:Why is the bullet pusher denting the top of my new bullets??

2. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Yep, it is the ogive of the bullet and the shape of the seater. Some die manufacturers will custom cut for specific bullets. But, I've had good luck taking out the stem and using my VLD case trimmer to cut the inside of the stem a bit

3. dogdinger

dogdinger Writers Guild

this is what i did...

i took the seater out and lapped it with valve grinding compound....i used a bullet with the same ogive in a cordless drill..AJ

4. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

You may be sizing the neck down more than you need to. The sized neck diameter should only be .002 to .003 smaller than the loaded diameter, any more than that could be the reason it takes extra force to get the bullet started into the case neck.
    If you are loading single shot you should not need more that .002. With a magazine you may need more
    Dave

5. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

I noticed this on my VLD's and SMK's! Didn't hurt accuracy for me.

6. remingtonman_25_06

remingtonman_25_06 Well-Known Member

"I noticed this on my VLD's and SMK's! Didn't hurt accuracy for me."

+1. I"ve noticed it a few times as well with a couple different calibers. Has zero effect on accuracy as far as I can tell.

7. Rimfire

Rimfire Well-Known Member

The line on the bullet wont hurt accuracy. It's the effects of the thin line which shows more on vld's. Inconsistent seating is a result of the thin line or mininmal contact of the seating plunger. As said use the bullet you shoot and lap the seating plug till the line goes away of gets wider and you will get more consistent seating. On my 6BR it caused problems with accuracy due to seating. seating varied up to 3 thou before lapping and 0 after.

8. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

I have noticed length varies a bit, thought that might be the bullets. What happens to seating standard bullets when you ream out the seat a bit?