Small rifle primer option in brass

I run mag SRP in my 222 due to using 748 in it. Coldest I've hunted in is -18C, those rounds never missed a beat.
Back home, at or just below freezing is common where I hunt rabbit/fox for winter pelts and I had a failure to launch with a standard SRP, so I switched to magnums for ball powder, but I think it was a bad primer rather than a temp problem.

I really don't know if the cold temp thing is a real issue or not...I may have to test this next winter.

Cheers.

Guys, my suggestion for lrp is to shooters who are loading with RL26 H1000 RL23, not the guys using N555, RL16, H4350, srp will work just fine here. Slower magnum powders need more flash. A lot the guys shooting rl26 in 6.5 creed are using cci250 magnum powders.

Thats good food for thought on the burn rates.
I am using RL16 and no issues. Also, I did fill my extra Doe tag last Sunday in under 20* temps with again no issue.

Last years opening day whitetail buck in Manitoba was -28C, which is about -18.5F. Shooting a 6.5x47 with 124 HH and H4350 with CCI 450's. never had a problem and the Lapua brass lasts forever.

I thought all of this attention to SRP brass started with Lapua SRP .308 brass. It was designed to facilitate more uniform powder burn in target rifles. IIRC

That was the idea and with some small cartridges it is very popular for the case life and the smaller flash hole is supposed to improve ignition. However, they do work well when using small amounts of fast burning powder that ignites well.

I have tried both primer sizes and didn't find any real improvements in case life or accuracy, but to qualify my findings, I dont shoot many small cartridges and never load hot (High pressures) and find that maintaining both sizes of primers not worth the inventory in primers and loading components. Just Me :)

If you work up loads for ether primer size one will not be better than the other and they definitely will not work with larger cartridges and huge amounts of powder, so I just stick to Large rifle primers where they can be used.

J E CUSTOM

When temperatures plummet, propellants become increasingly difficult to ignite evenly, particularly those made of a double-base compound containing nitroglycerine.
Man, the quoted paragraph sounded like the egghead equivalent of a load of horses**t. Whenever I do *anything* in extreme weather, I'm going to use stuff I've tested and proven, or from a company that I know uses & tests their own product.
Lapua: Finland - loonngg winters that are colder than a witches teat. I'm good with that.
I have 24K of 8 different primers types. Its a PITA. You guys that use and stock only one or two types are smart.

I don't buy into this notion that a SRP in say a 6.5 Creed is not going to ignite a dose of RE26 or H1000.
I use STANDARD primers behind 100+gr of powder all the time. Even in my 505Gibbs (148gr RETUMBO) 416 Rigby (104gr RE25)
with nary a problem. My 500NE 3 1/4" uses 112gr powder and I have used BR2 primers I had laying around without issue.
Double base stick powders are easier to ignite than ball powder, they don't have the same deterrent coatings and even RETUMBO used in my 300WM will ignite with a standard primer, as does RE19 in my 338's. Heck, I've even used standard Rem 9 1/2 in my 338-416 Rigby Improved. As long as case fill matches the burn rate of the powder and, the fill ratio is high enough that the primer flash pressurises the case, the powder will ignite uniformly. It's not ALL about the TYPE or SIZE of the primer being used.

Cold weather...I'm still on the fence.
Will let you know next winter.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.