Small pistol primers in AR ammo???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Daves762, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Daves762

Daves762 Well-Known Member

I went into the reloading room to finish a batch of rounds for my M4.
    When I reached for the box of small rifle primers it was actually a box of small pistol primers.
    I cannot be sure that I accidently used the small pistol primers instead of small rifle primers, but as I re-played the day before in my head I just might have grabbed the small pistol on accident........

The load is
    55fmj
    LC brass
    24gr H355
    light crimp.

I have loaded up to 26gr of H355 in this M4 int he past so the 24 gr loads aren't too hot.

My question is........should I cautiously test them out to see if they work, or disassemble the whole batch....

ps I was tossing them onto a pile of about 1500rds so It would be hard to find all of them.......stupid I know.....

please advise.......

Dave

2. Dano1

Dano1 Well-Known Member

I know you're not gonna like this, but I would disasemble them. They aren't as strong or hot as rifle primers andare meant to ignite charges of 4-10g, they shouldn't be trusted. They can cause delayed detonation which can lodge a bullet in the barrel and spike pressures causing case rupture. Don't take a chance.....When in doubt disassemble them. I know this stinks, If I had a nickle for evey time I did stuff like this........well any way good luck.
    Dan

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

3. Daves762

Daves762 Well-Known Member

thanks.