Slow Powder New Brass= Black Crap??

Nape.270

Shot some retumbo and h1000 in my .257wyb Rem sps ss 26in bbl with new brass and 115gr hunting vld's and this is what thay came out like.

hunting08046.jpg

I think i now what is going on hear but would like to hear what you think.

If you are wondering how thay shot lets say best group's ever.

100yrds 3 shots H1000
hunting08048.jpg

100yrds 3 shots Retumbo
hunting08049.jpg

That is what i thought.

69gr of H1000 3108-3100-3008fps
berger lists 69gr's as max with a velocity of 3277fps

67gr of Retumbo 2943-2879-2879fps
the bold was hard to lift on the last one all though i thank it was from the black stuf so i did not shoot the rest of the retumbo.

I ran them through the redding neck die.

Yeah, every time I've seen soot on the brass it was from too light of loads. Sometimes you can get away with light loads if you have serious neck tension (helps build the pressure), or even good bullet to land contact.

AJ

When you're working up a load and the lighter loads soot the brass, (as shown above) they also soot the chamber. Then you need to clean the soot out of the chamber/neck area before proceeding.
The soot marks that are on the brass are also on the chamber and prevent a good seal when the brass/neck swells.

My 2cents anyway.

Low pressure, black neck seems ok for group. But, not getting the the brass to expand nuff to blacken brass down to base?
Stop where your at and head to your local smith with rifle and dies and have them mic'd!
Why one may ask?
Blow back right into face for one!
Plus the usual suspects...undersized dies....oversize chamber and or terrible reload info?
Be safe,
WT
PS: JMO

I have shot some 100gr nbt's with rl22 and new brass thay had just a little black soot on the neck.

I will try them both again but use formed brass.

I am not sure why velocity is so much slower could it be because there coal was at 3.25 and i loaded mine to 3.45? I now every rifle is different.

I had the same results last weekend when finishing barrel break in for a friends 257 WM. He was using the lightest charge weight listed from hodgon for H4350 w/ the 115g vld. I noticed the black crap as well and figured they were light laods. The next time out, I cronographed a few and noticed they were only doing 3000fps which is a bit low on the velocity scale.

Shot some upper end loads w/H4350 and 100g NBT's this morning and the soot went away.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.