Slow Burning, Temperature Stable

Good

Hi all, I'm hoping you all can tell me what powder in the slow burning category is going to be the most temp stable. I'm not necessarily interested in the most speed, just a powder that is stable and consistent from winter to summer and doesn't need tuning.

Powders such as:

Reloader 22, and 25
H-1000
US 869
Ramshot Magnum
IMR 7828
Retumbo
H-870

Thanks for your help. gun)

So is it generally believed that the h-1000 and Retumbo are the most temperature insensitive of these listed? Of these, those are the only two in the Extreme line.

None of the others match up? Which of them have less spread in temperature changes? I want to start working with that powder, if the gun doesn't like it I'll try the next bet for this particular application. It's for 338 RUM and 300g Bergers, btw.

You can't go wrong with h-1000 in your situation. A good friend of mine uses this with the 300grners from summer to late whitetail season with great sucess.

So is it generally believed that the h-1000 and Retumbo are the most temperature insensitive of these listed? Of these, those are the only two in the Extreme line.

None of the others match up? Which of them have less spread in temperature changes? I want to start working with that powder, if the gun doesn't like it I'll try the next bet for this particular application. It's for 338 RUM and 300g Bergers, btw.

There are many more extreme powders that should work in the 338 RUM with 300 grain bullets
like the H 50 BMG and the H 869.

J E CUSTOM

I'm biased, Ramshot!

I haven't used the Magnum, yet. PLan to, in the 300 WinMag, soon as I get back to the bench.

I've used X-terminator, TAC, Hunter, Big Game. Love them, very forgiving, and clean.

869 is not an extreme powder

Right you are.

MY Bad.

H 869 was develouped to replace the old H870, both are ball powders and hodgdon states that
it's good in a wide range of tempertures unlike the old H 870 . But that does not make it an
Extreme powder.

Thanks.

J E CUSTOM

I found a really old post doing a search on IMR7828 from snipershide I think.....A guy tested a bunch of powders over a chrony in different conditions. He didn't fire just a couple of rounds either as he had quite a bit of data. In his findings the ramshot was the least sensitive to temperature. I was surprised 7828 was as sensitive as the reloader powders. From my experience retumbo is very insensitive followed by h1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.