Slow Burning, Temperature Stable

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Good, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Good

Good Well-Known Member

Hi all, I'm hoping you all can tell me what powder in the slow burning category is going to be the most temp stable. I'm not necessarily interested in the most speed, just a powder that is stable and consistent from winter to summer and doesn't need tuning.

Powders such as:

Reloader 22, and 25
    H-1000
    US 869
    Ramshot Magnum
    IMR 7828
    Retumbo
    H-870

Thanks for your help. gun)

2. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

H-1000, Ramshot Magnum, Retumbo are all worth working with.

3. Dean2506

Dean2506 Well-Known Member

hogdon extreme powders are supposed to be very temp insensitive and very consistent lot to lot

4. Good

Good Well-Known Member

So is it generally believed that the h-1000 and Retumbo are the most temperature insensitive of these listed? Of these, those are the only two in the Extreme line.

None of the others match up? Which of them have less spread in temperature changes? I want to start working with that powder, if the gun doesn't like it I'll try the next bet for this particular application. It's for 338 RUM and 300g Bergers, btw.

5. Idbowhunter

Idbowhunter Member

You can't go wrong with h-1000 in your situation. A good friend of mine uses this with the 300grners from summer to late whitetail season with great sucess.

6. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

There are many more extreme powders that should work in the 338 RUM with 300 grain bullets
    like the H 50 BMG and the H 869.

J E CUSTOM

7. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

869 is not an extreme powder

8. BigSkyGP

BigSkyGP Well-Known Member

I'm biased, Ramshot!

I haven't used the Magnum, yet. PLan to, in the 300 WinMag, soon as I get back to the bench.

I've used X-terminator, TAC, Hunter, Big Game. Love them, very forgiving, and clean.

9. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Right you are.

MY Bad.

H 869 was develouped to replace the old H870, both are ball powders and hodgdon states that
    it's good in a wide range of tempertures unlike the old H 870 . But that does not make it an
    Extreme powder.

Thanks.

J E CUSTOM

10. frequent misser

frequent misser Well-Known Member

I found a really old post doing a search on IMR7828 from snipershide I think.....A guy tested a bunch of powders over a chrony in different conditions. He didn't fire just a couple of rounds either as he had quite a bit of data. In his findings the ramshot was the least sensitive to temperature. I was surprised 7828 was as sensitive as the reloader powders. From my experience retumbo is very insensitive followed by h1000.