Sling studs mounted sideways

jwedel1777

I've seen several newer rifles with sideways mounted sling studs, and I assume it's becoming a new trend. My question is: How do most people carry rifles with a sideways sling? Also, are there any special tricks to installing sling studs in this manor? Specifically on a Savage 116 w/ an Accustock.

I have a similar question. I recently purchased a CUV stock (choate ultimate varminter) for an S110 rifle build/upgrade that I've been working on (but it is currently stuck in a holding pattern). At the front, there is a stud on the bi-pod rail, under the forearm. I do have a bi-pod mounted, and the front end of the sling is mounted to IT. But since the rear of the stock has an elevation adjustment dial on the underside, I assume THAT is why there is no sling stud there. But it does have studs on each side of the rear of the stock. But it also has the side-studs at the front, on the forearm, in addition to the single stud on the bottom of the forearm's rail, where the front of the sling is currently attached. I am at a total loss as to how to attach the rear end of the sling to the stock, at the rear. I could just attach it to one side or the other at the rear, but that just doesn't seem right. And there's just no way that it looks right. So I am thinking that there must be some sort of "Y" adapter that I need, that attaches to the rear end of the sling, which would allow it to connect to the studs on BOTH sides of the stock, at the rear. Is this correct? If not, how is a sling supposed to be mounted, on a stock that only has the dual side-stud setup, at the rear?

It is more of a military,LE, or tactical set up.That relates typical to afront carry.Sling sometimes are 2 or one point carry,for fast shooting around obstacles.Dont know if this makes sense.But I use a front carry sling on a regular stud application.The sling is a Safari sling,look it up.Front sling slide easy to adjust walking, and my hands are free to glass and climb rugged terrain.Rifle is over shoulder and across back,rifle sits level at my waist for quick access.This is my kid w/ same set up

Attachments

• wyatt MF.jpg
    wyatt MF.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 469
6x6, thanks for the pick, but I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about
DSCN1119web.jpg
You can see, it seems pretty similar to the normal setup, but the studs are screwed into the sides. I'm just wondering what the benefits are for the method, and the proper way of carrying this rifle.

They are perfect for a TAB backpack style strap. The rifle will lay flat against your back with the bolt facing out rather than digging into your back. Great way to carry heavies. They are used with flush cups.

That is VERY similar to my setup. But since I've only had "traditional" under-sling setups previously, I'm really scratching my head, as to what sort of sling setup this type of stock uses. Does it actually take 2 separate sings, with one on each side? Or is it some kind of 4-way sling, that is like 2 slings which are siamesed together, in the middle? But then how does one do it, if using the single stud (underneath) at the front, and BOTH of the side studs at the back, like I wish to do?

6x6, thanks for the pick, but I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about
View attachment 11098
You can see, it seems pretty similar to the normal setup, but the studs are screwed into the sides. I'm just wondering what the benefits are for the method, and the proper way of carrying this rifle.

I always thought the side mounted studs were the guys who prefer to shoot their handguns sideways too. Not sure what the advantage is but it sure seems popular today. :D

I think I just figured it out. There must be some sort of "dual" adapter available, that allows 2 slings to be connected to the single bottom stud at the front, and then each sling goes to it's own side at the rear? I think I'm even gonna get bold enough to say that, if that ISN"T the way it is, that is the way it SHOULD be!

They are set up as I posted earlier,for a tactical type front carry and more carry options.There are slings that hook to both points but you can quick release the rear, or front for more manuvarability , there are slings that also have a second loop in them for this purpose.Common more on AR type set ups.On one loop rifle can hang at side or hook front and it is over shoulder and back like a safari sling.On a side not Len sells a double shoulder sling on this sight, jsut like a regular but goes over both shoulders.The Safari sling is split front and rear and cradles the rifle

For steep climbing the side mount slings allow you to lay the rifle across you back at 45 degrees (bolt and windage knob outward) while avoiding any unwanted swing or trigger guard gouging. It works equally well for four wheeling or snowmobiling if you do not want to rack or case your weapon. Classic ak-47 technology finding its way onto precision rifles lightbulb. A regular leather cobra sling on side mounts is by far my preference. P.S. I shoot my pistol in a straight line with both hands.

I haven't looked at the links yet, but it sounds like whatever one prefers IS out there. And a single regular sling WILL work. But it is the resulting loss of symetricality that is something I'd prefer to avoid.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.