Slim muzzle brakes

Brambles

I'm going to build a lightweight 300 ultra with a skinny barrel, I want the muzzle brake to be as close to muzzle diameter as possible, if not the same contour. I haven't totally decided on the contour. but probably .550-.600

Any advantages or disadvantages to slim muzzle brakes, looks like Holland builds small diameter brakes as does KDF, any others.

I want one that reduces muzzle jump as much as possible.

I read an online statement that brakes with Ports on the top but not on the bottom DO affect accuracy? any comments on this?

Thanks

I'm going to build a lightweight 300 ultra with a skinny barrel, I want the muzzle brake to be as close to muzzle diameter as possible, if not the same contour. I haven't totally decided on the contour. but probably .550-.600

Any advantages or disadvantages to slim muzzle brakes, looks like Holland builds small diameter brakes as does KDF, any others. I would think that as the surface areas of the ports are decreased, the effectiveness of the brake is also decreased. A comparison would be any good brake compared to magna port.

I want one that reduces muzzle jump as much as possible. A well designed brake even w/o holes on top will reduce muzzle jump.

I read an online statement that brakes with Ports on the top but not on the bottom DO affect accuracy? any comments on this? Sounds like a bad article. If holes on top affect accuracy its on the positive side. If it has holes on the bottom don't shoot into the wind.;)

Thanks

I would suggest that it will take a brake of larger than your 0.6" spec to be of any use at all. I would also suggest that the weight of the brake, if not excessive, will have limited affect on carry weight unless you're a wimp like me.:D

Suggestions would be the Holland QD, (I have one on a 338 RUM), A Defensive Edge (I have one on a 270 AM), one of Kirby Allen's new designs or 308 Nate's brake.

Also the lighter the rifle the more effective the brake. My 338 RUM with 300 SMKS improved quite a bit when weight was reduced from 11+ lbs to 9.5.

Get a VERY good set of scope mounts and rings. Minimum would be Leupold double dove tail base and rings. NF/Badger/Near/etc would be much better.

I would suggest that it will take a brake of larger than your 0.6" spec to be of any use at all. I would also suggest that the weight of the brake, if not excessive, will have limited affect on carry weight unless you're a wimp like me.:D

Why is a larger diameter brake more effective? I kinda wanted to keep the brake as inconspicious as possible

Have you considered no brake ? I had the exact concern until I commited to spending some quality time behind my unbraked 7.75 lb 300 RUM with it's Bansers stock, custom-fit LOP and 1" Pac Decel. Surprisingly, I found the rifle quite manageable and a brake unnecessary - it is now my go-to hunting rifle. It can shoot 1/2 MOA out to 800 yards on my good days.

Bear in mind, 20 rounds in a range session is enough, and it is more of a 5, 3-shot group per session kind-of-gun that I shoot intermittently during trigger time with my braked 10.5 lb 300 RUM Sendero or 15 lb 338 LM (or more often than not my 308 Win).

Not answering your question, but it is amazing what a well-designed and proper fitting stock, and the amazing pac decel can do to mitigate recoil.

I had one with a bansner stock and a limbsaver pad, weighted 8 lbs all up and running. Recoil was tolerable, the trigger hurt more than anything but the new rifle will be lighter and I've never had a braked rifle before so I thought I"d give it a try, I can always take it off if I don't like it.

Brambles,
I have a custom built 300 mag that runs 200SMK's at 3200fps. It has a standard BDL contour and a McMillan stock on a 700 Rem action. The Hart barrel (28" w/brake) has a brake built by the gunsmith. Most gunsmiths can manufacture a brake for you. It is then turned on the lathe and blended in so you can barely see the difference between barrel and brake joint.
It makes for a very clean looking job. Are they the best most effective brakes, no. They do work well though and I wouldn't shoot my rifle without it. They could also make you a cap for protecting the threads when you would want it off. Just my 2 cents.

I had this brake on a 338 win mag
BRILEYMUZZLEBRAKE.jpg

It is made by Briley in Houston. There is a little puff of wind in your face but it is effective.

When I rebarreled that gun to a 338RUM the gunsmith cut this one into the barrel
WestfallBrake.jpg

It does not have a port in the bottom and accuracy is excellent
RL25-975.jpg

this brake does not have any blowback, is quieter and reduces recoil more.

Also you can install 1 or 2 recoil suppressors in the stock and possibly not need a brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.