Sky pointer

Pa Grizz

I have a two year lab named Bailley .Having never trained a hunting dog she still has turned out pretty good.About a week ago I noticed when she hears the birds coming she points in the direction they are coming form.I do not know how common this is ,but since her hearing is so much better than mine I keep a close watch on her.The best one was when I was out changing the decoy spread I was not watching her.She came up and jumped up on me.Before i could correct I saw see was pointing up and a few seconds later I heard the birds.I still have some things I want to try and teach her ,but I think I have a keeper.

Yep sounds like she has natural ability, all the good retrievers I've trained have done that also. They are a hunting partner and watch for birds better than some fellas I've been stuck hunting with. Their total purpose in life is retrieve birds for you and they love doing it.
I can watch my male chessie and know if its a sea gull or duck by how he acts without even looking up. Its wonderful to share that with your dog. And look I get from him when I miss is almost uncanny. Like I total disappointed him.

Yesterday I had a little luck early ,but things slowed down for awhile.I dozed off and the next thing I feel her licking my face just in time to see four geese landing in the decoys.Iam not sure who the teacher is

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.