skim bedding aluminum block stocks

argeea

Since I own several rem 700's with stocks that have the aluminum block, I was wondering if after you skim-bed stock you're able to maintain block to action contact or does bedding compound gets in between. wanting to get opinions since I bedded one with acraglass and it did not shoot any better

You will get MANY opinions on this topic, but my gunsmiths school of thought on this is that actions are NOT all 100% duplicates of each other (neither are bedding blocks) and therefore should be either fully bedded or skim bedded to their respective stocks. All of the rifles he has built for me have been skim bedded and have been great shooters.....with the right load and a 'good day' of trigger pulling. ;)

The embed gives the bedding a good foundation and aids in the fit of the action to the receiver as 819 stated. you might get lucky and get an embed that fits and gives good accuracy, but why take a chance with the odds. Nothing beats a good bedding job !!!

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

You will get MANY opinions on this topic, but my gunsmiths school of thought on this is that actions are NOT all 100% duplicates of each other (neither are bedding blocks) and therefore should be either fully bedded or skim bedded to their respective stocks. All of the rifles he has built for me have been skim bedded and have been great shooters.....with the right load and a 'good day' of trigger pulling. ;)
The exact view of my smith as well, he has done five skim beds with aluminum bedding blocks for me and accuracy has been great.

When Cabela's had a sale on Rem 700 Varmint 223 Rem. with the Tupperware Stock a couple year ago I got 1. I bought a H&S Precision stock for it. When I put the action in stock the barrel touched on side of the forearm. I cleaned the contact points on the bedding block, Shimmed the barrel with equal clearance in the forearm. Used JB Weld steel reinforced epoxy on the contact points of the bedding block. Now 3/8" at 100 and 1" groups at 200 yds. with 50 gr. V-max load. The factory barrel surprised me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.