Sizing down 6.5 lapua brass to 6

nddodd

Alright fellas I've got a problem sizing down my new lapua 6.5-284 brass to 6-284 Ive tried using my redding bushing die, redding neck size die and all it does is just smash the shoulder down I've lubed the neck nothing works. I know the brass is super soft, so I thought I might be able to put a few cases in the fridge for a little bit to try and make it a little harder will this work or do I need to sell the brass and buy a diffierent type that's not as soft.

Thanks,
Nathan

The brass is not too soft. The short neck and 30 degree shoulder work against you when trying to neck down.

Two ways that I've done it. Either neck turn a little first, or use a intermediate sized bushing, or both.

I am now just starting to load for the 6-284 and all I had to do was take Lapua 6.5-284 brass lube it well and run it thru my 6-284 Redding full length die. Didn't have any shoulders collapse.

I did run a few thru my redding bushing die with a 280 bushing at first and didn't have any problems there. The only problem I have is I think my necks are too thick, a bullet will not slide thru the neck of a fired case. I'm going to ream the necks and see if that helps.

Nathan,

You won't be able to neck them down with just the bushing die. Your moving the shoulder down and a little forward also from where it was 6.5 as well as necking it down to 6mm. Like mudbug said he did, use a full length resizing die. Just run it through the resizing die until you see it just making contact with the shoulder. If your chamber is a no turn neck try it in the gun. If it's a turn neck you'll need to turn your necks to fit and see if you sized it enough to fit for fire forming.

Thanks so much for the info guys I appreciate it. I know this wil sound crazy but I put ten cases in the freezer for about 30 minutes went through the neck die no problem. The only thing that happened was the necks had a tough time draging over the expander had a little bit of run out. Put them in my case trimmer and cut about 7 thou off.

Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.