Sitka Blacktails 2007. The pix are in.

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Below are a few photos of our hunting highlights from our Kodiak Island deer trip this fall. A full story will follow. I took 3 deer on this trip. One at 498 yards, one at 338 and one at 504 in a very stiff cross wind.

The line up.
525339-big.JPG

My last day buck at 504 yards.
525338-big.JPG

My 338 yard buck.
525335-big.JPG

My buddies toad.
525337-big.JPG

My buddies other toad.
525336-big.JPG

nice bucks

Those are some nice sitka blacktails, what part of the island were you hunting and did you use a guide service? I guess i'll wait for the full story, Just got excited seing pictures that remind me of home.

Congrats, sounds like a great hunt! I've been watching trying to see what came of your elk hunt on that island. How did that go?

The elk hunt was very rough. Weather was horrifec and I couldnt get landed on the high country lake I needed to be on (again!) I ended up back on the salt water and hiked for 2 days and made it only 1.75 miles due to the thick brush and dead fall trees. I needed so much gear to survive such an enviornment and heavy gear for taking care of the elk should I get one that I only had room for 4 days worth of food. I still had over 3 miles to go to get to the elk. The math didnt add up so I went back to the beach and hunted the few elk that live in that area to no avail. It was still a cool trip. I saw seals and sea lions up VERY close and humpback whales. All in all I felt privledged to see such a cool place. I had one day of good weather but what a day it was.

Wow, that sounds like some of the roughest country around. Too bad you didn't make it through the trees. But glad that you make it back safe and sound.

cheers!

The elk hunt was very rough. Weather was horrifec and I couldnt get landed on the high country lake I needed to be on (again!) I ended up back on the salt water and hiked for 2 days and made it only 1.75 miles due to the thick brush and dead fall trees. I needed so much gear to survive such an enviornment and heavy gear for taking care of the elk should I get one that I only had room for 4 days worth of food. I still had over 3 miles to go to get to the elk. The math didnt add up so I went back to the beach and hunted the few elk that live in that area to no avail. It was still a cool trip. I saw seals and sea lions up VERY close and humpback whales. All in all I felt privledged to see such a cool place. I had one day of good weather but what a day it was.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.