Sirocco's and 300 Win Mag

magicofmt

Any body using 180 gr Sirocco's with any luck in 300 WM? I have shot 20 rounds with no luck, haven't turned up the heat yet, still at 77.5 gr of H-1000. Book says 76 to 81 gr. Do they get better with more speed?
Thanks!

Any body using 180 gr Sirocco's with any luck in 300 WM? I have shot 20 rounds with no luck, haven't turned up the heat yet, still at 77.5 gr of H-1000. Book says 76 to 81 gr. Do they get better with more speed?
Thanks!

Possibly: sometimes powders don't burn at consistent rates and give repeatable performance until they reach a sufficiently high enough pressure.

I just picked up dies for my 300 win. I have not started developing loads for it yet. However I have shot the Remington factory ammo loaded with the Swift Scirocco 180gr bonded. It performed well both on paper and MN whitetails.

They publish Muzzle velocity 2960fps and muzzle energy 3501ft-lbs.

Last edited:
I have records of a 180 Scirocco that I used in an older 300 WM that shot these at .5 MOA. It was with Rem brass, F-215 primer, and 75.0 gr work up with RL-22. Swift told me to seat a minimum of .050 and run them fairly hot. Since then, I have replaced that 300 with another and haven't had as good of luck. I ended up switching to Accubonds. I also tried 150's in a .280 Rem and couldn't get anything going. They always seem real finicky but once you find a load, they do well.

I believe I still have a private line to one of their techs. If you need it, PM me and I'll send it to you.

I have a remington 700 xcr in the 300 win mag and had great luck using the 180 grain sciroccos with 70 grains of IMR 4350, fed 215 primers and an OAL of 3.570 I was able to hold under .5 moa all day and that rifle had VERY minor work done to it.. That was a devistating round on everything that I shot last year I killed a brown bear, black bear, four caribou and a moose with the closest shot was at 262 yds every round except the moose at 550 yds went through I looked everywhere to try to recover the bullet from the moose but in an animal that big that is an awful small piece of metal to find...

Unfortunatly I havnt been able to duplicat that performance with my new 300 rum I cant get that gun to shoot the sciroccos at anything under 1.25 moa so its back to the drawing board with that one. the scirocco is a great bullet and the performance was awsome I just wish I could get it to work with my RUM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.