Single-shot VS. repeater action

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Paal,

No I haven't found any one piece base. I'll go with two piece bases for now and see how it goes...

I think 7075 is very strong, according to this:
http://www.tpsproducts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48

[/ QUOTE ]

I talked to Jim Borden and your information is correct. I just got off the phone with Glen Seekins and he will build a one piece moa base for the Borden action; he is gonna call Borden and get the specs. I told him this could be a boon to him since there is gonna be a whole lot of these actions on the street very shorly. Jim Borden said he will eventually be making a custom base to fit once he finishes with this run of actions.

Well as usual, you bring up some ficticious no name so-called record without credentials or factual source.

Well, also as usual, you are wrong. Here is the real 600 yard record holder and hold onto your dentures, it ain't no win m70 and it ain't no 308!

Check this out:
www.6mmbr.com/gunweek066.html

As you can see, the best 600 yard shooter was a Bat action in 6mm br. It shot a 15 shot agg into a 1.925" group. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If one's concerned about .001-inch accuracy changes at 100 yards, they'll spin all their bullets at 30 to 40 thousand RPM with a special tool checking them for balance then use only the perfectly balanced ones. This has been done before with incredible results. But you'll be lucky to get more than a dozen perfectly balanced bullets out of a box of a hundred.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh by the way, nobody I know does that during matches. It would take too much time and it might distract you from the real secret to accuracy-watching the wind flags.

Hi Crane,

Thanks for the information, it'll be great if Seekins can make 1 piece mount for Jim's action. I just got my action yesterday, NICE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif BTW, if you don't mind of 2 piece base then you can get two pieces of remington front base, just make sure the screw hole size is 8x40.

Cheers
Yibai
Regards
Yibai

BartB, you, my friend, are mired in the past. No one, in current BR circles is using a M70. When I started shooting IBS Hunter Class matches I was using a M70 in .308 Win. I found out, rather quickly, that if I wanted to be competitive, I needed to move up to a Rem 700. That was in 1988 and I've not seen a M70 on the line since.
I don't know any BR shooters that"spin their bullets at 50,000 rpms and are lucky to get a dozen out of a box". Every BR shooter, that I know, is shooting custom made bullets. After I set up the core seater and point up dies, I don't weigh, spin or sort any of the bullets I make.
You should try to attend a BR match sometime and find out what BR shooters really do. Then, maybe, you won't be posting so much mis-information.

[ QUOTE ]
BartB, you, my friend, are mired in the past. No one, in current BR circles is using a M70. When I started shooting IBS Hunter Class matches I was using a M70 in .308 Win. I found out, rather quickly, that if I wanted to be competitive, I needed to move up to a Rem 700. That was in 1988 and I've not seen a M70 on the line since.
I don't know any BR shooters that"spin their bullets at 50,000 rpms and are lucky to get a dozen out of a box". Every BR shooter, that I know, is shooting custom made bullets. After I set up the core seater and point up dies, I don't weigh, spin or sort any of the bullets I make.
You should try to attend a BR match sometime and find out what BR shooters really do. Then, maybe, you won't be posting so much mis-information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice. Thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If the 6PPC's the most accurate cartridge and the Predator, Viper, Cobra, etc. actions are of the same ilk, how come a .308 Win. fired from a Winchester 70 action based rifle has shot smaller 10-shot groups at 600 yards than anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because it was shot in your dreams! OK, maybe some told you about this wonder group in a bar over 6 beers that they did this.

I was reading an early volume of BR articles from Rrecision shooting last night and in 1984 only 3% of the BR rifles were model 70s. the majority (about 50-60%) were 40x and Xp-100s. There was only about 3-4 custom actions on the market in then. The top competitiors and smiths back then said it did not make sense to try and trick up a factory back then as it cost more, was worth less and did not shoot as good as the custom.

Now we have at least 15 strong custom actions that are truer, have faster lock times, timed bolts and are truely ready to put a barrel on without facing the rcvr, facing the recoil lug, recutting threads, sleeving bolts, bushing the firing pin hole etc.

Model 70 is a good hunting action but its day as an accuracy action of choice is long gone.

BH

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Instant Classic,right on the money
UB

I just spoke with Jim and he is sending me the info i need to build bases. I wont be able to start on them until the middle of January but i will have some shortly after that. Im not sure on the price just yet and they will be made from 7075T6, 20moa to start and custom MOA will be available as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks, Glen

Thanks Glen! One for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Let us know when it's available

Cheers
Yibai

It's conceivable that there's an old prone record on the obsolete "5V" target that is still held by a Model 70 simply because the target is not used anymore. That possible bit of history has no bearing on current shooting performance in any discipline.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.