silohuette (sp?) shooting at 500 w/ .223

lastoftheline

hello,,

i was wondering if anyone out there has done any silohuette shooting with a 223 rifle out to 500 yrds. I have in the past but only was able to knock'em down at 300 yrds before running out of ammo......

I was wondering if anyone could drop those rams at 500....what ammo did you use? I dont want to handload, so I am curious about what bullet weight you chose...

I used 69gr hpbt at 300yrds with no problem, but how about at 500

anyone try it...
thanks all

Not going to happen. The rams are around 60lbs.

The lightest combo that I have heard work are the 95gr 6mm. Again, marginal. 105/107gr better. 6.5 120gr better still.

Jerry

[ QUOTE ]
hello,,

i was wondering if anyone out there has done any silohuette shooting with a 223 rifle out to 500 yrds.

I was wondering if anyone could drop those rams at 500....thanks all

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry,

back when Mr. E. Gates hit our area, years ago, that kind of shooting (I can't spell the word either) was gonna be the rage.

Used an XP w/a 222 Rem bbl, cause Shaw's sent that instead of a 222 Mag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

With the heaviest bullets of the day loaded as hot as practicable, "if" I could hit 'em in the horn they pretty much went over every time (on the stands used at our range).

Big problem was that hitting the horn was a spot of bother /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

FWIW

reading all of your posts makes we wanna get back out there and give it a try.....

I could do 300m with 69gr hpbt, but i saw that federal loads some 77gr or 80 gr bullets. I have to check the coal, cause I am using an HK semi-auto sl8. might have to feed em one at a time.

anyone else try it.....

Yikes, hitting the ram is hard enough. Needing to hit a golf ball size target just to score, that is taking the game to another level.

too many 40's in a row. Need to make the game a bit more challenging? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.