silohuette (sp?) shooting at 500 w/ .223

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by lastoftheline, Jan 7, 2006.

1. lastoftheline

lastoftheline Member

hello,,

i was wondering if anyone out there has done any silohuette shooting with a 223 rifle out to 500 yrds. I have in the past but only was able to knock'em down at 300 yrds before running out of ammo......

I was wondering if anyone could drop those rams at 500....what ammo did you use? I dont want to handload, so I am curious about what bullet weight you chose...

I used 69gr hpbt at 300yrds with no problem, but how about at 500

anyone try it...
    thanks all

2. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Well-Known Member

Goodluck!! I've never used my .223 out at 500 meters but I've used my .222 and it would not knock the rams down. I used a 52gr. serria bthpm bullet.

3. remingtonman_25_06

remingtonman_25_06 Well-Known Member

I have used my .222 Rem to shoot steel at 525 yards. I dont think there is enough energy left even with a 223 to knock down a steel target at 500.

4. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

Not going to happen. The rams are around 60lbs.

The lightest combo that I have heard work are the 95gr 6mm. Again, marginal. 105/107gr better. 6.5 120gr better still.

Jerry

5. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    hello,,

i was wondering if anyone out there has done any silohuette shooting with a 223 rifle out to 500 yrds.

I was wondering if anyone could drop those rams at 500....thanks all

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry,

back when Mr. E. Gates hit our area, years ago, that kind of shooting (I can't spell the word either) was gonna be the rage.

Used an XP w/a 222 Rem bbl, cause Shaw's sent that instead of a 222 Mag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

With the heaviest bullets of the day loaded as hot as practicable, "if" I could hit 'em in the horn they pretty much went over every time (on the stands used at our range).

Big problem was that hitting the horn was a spot of bother /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

FWIW

6. lastoftheline

lastoftheline Member

reading all of your posts makes we wanna get back out there and give it a try.....

I could do 300m with 69gr hpbt, but i saw that federal loads some 77gr or 80 gr bullets. I have to check the coal, cause I am using an HK semi-auto sl8. might have to feed em one at a time.

anyone else try it.....

7. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

Yikes, hitting the ram is hard enough. Needing to hit a golf ball size target just to score, that is taking the game to another level.

too many 40's in a row. Need to make the game a bit more challenging? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jerry