Signature Select vs Conquest vs Monarch

urbaneruralite

I'm looking for a practical hunting scope for short to medium/longish range with a mil-dot reticle. I'm having trouble getting a good idea of what will be useful.

It appears you can get a Burris Sig Select 3-10x and have a mil-dot put in for a total of ~$500 plus shipping. You can get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x with the Rapid reticle for the same. For less than both you can get a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x with a mil-dot.

Spec-wise its a no-brainer, but I'd prefer the US made product and have seen a few Monarchs go bad. How much better is the Conquest glass than the Signature Select? I have a Euro Diamond. I don't need better glass than that. Any practical positive experiences with the Rapid reticle?

Sorry this isn't a solely long distance query. This just happens to be one of the few forums where folks actually know what they're typing about.

I cant help you with hands on knowledge of the burris and Nikons, but I have a power of friends that swear by the Zeiss. For the money, without going the next step to the euro made big guns, I'd say they would be hard to beat. We recently compared them to some US made Khales and a lower grade burris model, and the conquest blew they away for clarity and brightness !

Good luck

Cheers

DUH

Did some digging. I can get a Pentax Lightseeker 3-9x43 with Mil-Dot for less than the Burris or Zeiss. I'm pretty sure Burris makes the Lightseeker. I guess I can live without 10x. Of course, I'll probably decide I like something better before I buy.

The MOA-based Bushnell reticle is kind of interesting...

In my opinion, the Zeiss has better glass than the Burris and Nikon, so I would go with the Conquest if it was me.

The Zeiss Conquest is the best value for the money scope I could recommend. Great light transmission and good resolution. I've owned Zeiss Conquest, Bushnells, Leupolds, and IOR scopes, and looked through quite a few others over the past 30 years - some costing less and some costing much more. Conquest is very impressive for the money.

Scope

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Conquest is at least assembled in the US?? I believe some Burris scopes, and Burris parts are now made overseas?? So buying American is at best shady!! I agree with you, I would rather buy American if I can.

As far as the scopes are concerned, I have owned all(more than one) the scopes discussed. IMO the Conquest is the superior product. Tom.

Definately Go With The Zeiss, They Are Hands Down The Best Of The Mid Range Scopes On The Market, Unless You Can Afford The Top Line Euro Models, You Cant Go Wrong. You Are Right About The Burris Not Being Made In The U.s, I Have A Fullfield2 With Made In The Phillipines On It, And Recently Saw The Same On A Sig Select.
Buy The Zeiss, And Youll Be Very Happy With It,
Good Hunting
Starchild69

Zeiss may be a good choice but I would not buy one under the assumption that you are buying "American", or more American than other scopes.

Of the choices that you mentioned the Leupolds are probably more American than anything else. I believe that most models are built here but use foreign glass.

Maybe OpticZone can tell us what optics are made here in the good ol' USA and where some of the others come from. I was quite surprised to see where my new Monarch was manufactured.

One other thing about OpticZone while I'm at it; I made my last couple of purchases from them. Prices were very good and service was great.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts