Sightron 10-50 issues?

jsthntn247

I got a new 10-50x60 LRMOA-2 yesterday and mounted it up. When I got to the range today I was having problems getting zero at 100. I didn't have enough travel to get a 100 yard zero with my 20 moa base. When the scope was near the bottom of the elevation travel, it would not move left or right. When it was totally bottomed out on the elevation adjustment the first 15-20 clicks walked up and to the right. After that it seemed to track up and down correctly and would adjust left and right again. Do they all do this or should I send it back?

That scope has +/-25 MOA of adjustment. If your 20 MOA base won't let you zero at 100 yds, then either your rifle barrel is installed crooked by at least 8 MOA, or barrel vibration is throwing your zero off of boresight, or both. Both are common enough that I would investigate them before sending the scope back. Crooked base installation is usually not the problem. Are you shooting a factory production rifle or a custom rifle?

Regarding the POA shifting diagonally, it could be due to a windage offset. Is your windage near the mechanical zero when you try to zero elevation, or is the windage off as well?

I saw your post on the hide. IMHO, Sightron does not make high contrast scopes. The high mag models will have low contrast at high magnification. That is normal for Sightron. You will have to move up to a much better scope to operate at 35-50X with good contrast.

Most scopes track straight down until they run out of adjustment. This one tracks straight until it gets near the end of adjustment then tracks off center. I shot it at 600 today in a match and could see the tape that covers the bullet holes. I am satisfied and will be keeping it.

It tracks diagonally probably because the erector tube is touching the inside of the main tube. That can happen on some scopes when the windage is off center. The problem with your scope is not resolution, it's contrast.

If you're happy with the scope, then great. It's probably working the way it was designed to work.

After I zero'd it at 300 I ran it up 80 clicks then back down 80 and it hit the same poi so it seems to be tracking correctly.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.