Sightmark triple duty 8.5 - 25x 50mm ?

top predator

if anyone will admit to using one, what's the good and the bad, how are they for $200.00?

what are you using it on, for how long?
clarity?
repeatability?
can you get a full 25X out of them?
other?

i know it's not a leopold, nikon, nightforce or uso, but honestly for what they are what's the deal?

thinking about putting one on a rimfire, adjusting between 50 and 300 yards frequently.

Just to follow up in the event anyone is interested in a Sightmark....

I ordered one, got "a deal" using some credit card reward points. they had a 10-40x 56mm, usually lists for just under $300.00. The end price was $220.00, so I figured whay not.

Received it today:

1. Turrets were nice, LOUD, positive clicks, not mushy. Actually nice
2. Side focus was smooth.
3. The scope was heavy, felt and looked decently made.
4. Took a quick look at the house down the block, started to grey up at 32x, but it was just before sundown, so I can't really give a good idea of the light transmission as the power went up.
5. Mildot reticle actually looked pretty good, nice defined dots and thin crosshairs within the mildot field.
6. Ill. reticle had 5 settings on each color (red / green) and the lowest setting was actually not blinding after dark.
7. The scope covers and rings that came with it were crappy, as most are with the "package" deal.

THE PROBLEM: Looking at the 60 watt clear bulb in my dining room overhead lamp, I noticed alot of speckling, as if the darn thing was sandblasted, and a whole bunch of tiny little scratches throughout. The more I looked, the more I noticed. Started to notice very small black specks, and other stuff.

Probably wouldn't have noticed it without looking at the bulb. Took out a cheap assed Centerpoint 4-16x Walmart scope I have on one two of my rimfires, their glass was far and away even better.

So just 2 cents on these - put your money somewhere else. The 8.5-25x is around $200.00, and may seem to be a deal.

The scope body seems pretty good and the turrets are nice, however the glass is like trying to look through a set of glasses that have seen their better day.

I have their 4-14x44 on an ar-10. I Don't know about yours but the glass on mine is clear. I just bought a vortex viper and compared them in the evening and i couldn't tell a single bit of difference in clarity. I feel its a great scope as far as Chinese Scopes go. I still have to test out tracking and repeatability to see if i can recommended it as a good inexpensive scope. I've heard some bad things about point of impact shifts throughout zoom
..we'll see......

actually without looking through the scope at a bulb, i may not have caught those scratches and splotches. once i noticed them, i noticed other little specs.

was thinking perhaps i got a "bum" one and entertained the notion of getting it exchanged for another. but then though that for something for the normal going price of $275-$300, there shouldn't have been that much stuff wrong with the glass.

I meant to say I have the 4-16 (there is not a 4-14) any ways Ill be testing out its tracking abilities and see how the point of impact is at different magnifications.
So far, without testing other things, the only neg I have on it is its weight. Its a little heavy but not a deal breaker.

I have the 10x40x56 and I have no issues, now I use mine for normal hunting shots out to 500 yards max and I have no complaints about the scope for the money. Its not the best and I knew that going in and it will work until I can get what I do what.

Has anybody tried a box test with any of the Sightmark Triple Duty scopes? ... I am curious as to their repeatability/reliability of adjustments ...

To me, as long as the glass is 'usable', I'm open to a low dollar scope ... SO LONG AS the adjustments are spot on ...

Would love to hear from anyone that has dialed in on shots out in the 500-1000 yds range and what experiences you had with that ...

Cheers

Does anyone have any experience with the sightmark 10-40x56 Triple Duty rifle scope with the illuminated dot reticle? Turret repeatability , highest useable magnification range, glass clarity, eye relief at highest magnification, durability? I realize that putting a low dollar scope on a high dollar rifle equals a low dollar rifle overall. Eventually I plan to put a leupold, swfa, us optics, nightforce, schmidt & bender, or march scope on my rifle but right now finances are short. Thanks for any thoughts, opinions, and answers.

i haven't tried the 10-40, but can't imagine it would be much different from the others in that lineup.

for the sightmark 10-40 being about 325.00, i'd rather hold off and for another 100-200 get a vortex.

if you have to have something on the rifle, i'd day as long as it's not a magnum, an under 100.00 centerpoint 4-16 at walmart is actually not all that bad.

another "hold you over" scope that isn't too bad is the BSA "mildot / tactical" scope at midway for around 130.00. i have a low recoiling .243 with about 650 rounds through it with no issues so far, tracks well, and has kept it's zero well.

I own the 8.5-25 ... it sits on my home smithed Savage 11 frankenstein 6mmBR. I have a net $180 in the Sightmark including the rings that came with it - which are the rings I use for it. The 10-40 uses the same turrets.

I box tested it and it was reliable for me in my config ... I regularly achieve groups in the .2's and .3's with this rig and reliably dial to hit golf balls at 220 and 330 yards ... when I miss it is not the scope's fault ... though I would LOVE to lay the blame there :)

I only have the following 'complaints' which are not complaints considering I only have $180 in it ...
1. The reticle (mildot) doesn't match the turrent adjustments (1/8 MOA)
2. At 20-25x power on a hot day makes shooting through mirage more difficult - not sure it is any better with any other scope though ...
3. It is Second Focal Plane - but I've learned there ARE advantages that go along with the Disadvantages of the SFP. (i.e. I can create custom holdover charts, dial a power and have a dead on holdover drop compensator - it works well)

Since purchasing mine ... I have purchased
- Vortex HS-T 4-16 SFP
- SWFA 5-20 FFP
- SWFA 20x
- SWFA 3-15 FFP

(ya - I like the SWFA's).

vs. Vortex HS-T 4-16 ... I don't think my Vortex is significantly better if any (especially at like zoom power) but the turrets and reticle match so I 'like it' better - plus 4x on the low end of the zoom is way better for a hunting rig vs. 8.5x min power. This is not putting the Vortex down but rather is a compliment to the Sightmark.

vs. SWFA 5-20 FFP ... not fair to compare so I won't - it just kicks ***** of anything I've compared it to - let the arguments now commence :) If any of you have been on fence about getting one - get off the fence and get one - it truly rocks!

vs. SWFA straight 20x ... the glass on MY SWFA straight 20x is not as good as I'd like and I think the Sightmark glass at 20 or even 25x is as good or better than my SWFA straight 20x ... BUT - I would TRUST the turrets on the SWFA more than the Sightmark even though the Sightmark has dialed accurately for me on mine ... plus, again, turrets and reticle on the SWFA match and that makes zeroing stupid easy.

vs. SWFA 3-15 - cannot comment much yet as I have yet to mount/test the SWFA 3-15 I FINALLY got my hands on ... people seem more eager to give up one of their children than to let these go ;)

In short - if I needed to stay at the $200 mark for glass and wanted 8ish to 25ish zoom, I'd buy it again in a New York minute ... if I could come up with $600 - I'd go to a vortex SFP 6-24x

All that being said ... let me remind you mine is on a heavy barreled 6mmBR that my 12 year old daughter ENJOYS shooting ... i.e. virtually no recoil ... if you are thinking of putting this on a lightweight rig bigger than a 7mm-08 to 308 and then shoot at freezer meat - my advice is test it for yourself extensively before missing the meat or worse, wounding/losing the meat ... and I would NOT trust my Sightmark on my 300 win mag. Perhaps others have first hand experience to lead me to develop that trust.

Hope this is of some help and good luck ...

Just so everyone knows whatever rifle scope I eventually decide with the $200-$400 one that I'm looking for now or the $1000-$4000 scope I will eventually put on my rifle it will be mounted to a Cold Shot M.O.A.B. 300 MOA Adjustable Base that will take care of all the elevation needs of my adjustments. I will be shooting to 1500 to 2500 yards.

for $200-$400 to spend on a "just for now" scope, I'd go with a burris or vortex. both offer alot for the investment depending on what model you choose.

both offer a transferable warranty - so then what you end up with is a quality scope that retains value for resale if need be, or adds a quality optic value to the platform you are going to swap it to.

nothing wrong with leupold, though to get the same creature comforts as the burris or vortex, you are looking at 500-600 to start.

though not a transferable warranty, you may want to check out weaver super slams, they are on sale at natchez.

obviously you are building, or attempting to build, quality rigs with both platforms, getting quality glass with a good rep, known dependability, clarity, repeatable adjustments and warranty up front that actually fits into your "just for now pass down" scope budget makes sense.

IMO the sightmark is in the barska type catagory, millet TRS a step above that, with the burris and vortex above that. for a little more investmestment, you can be in the next level of optic.

i wouldn't worry much of the magnification, as much as the quality of your view. it could be 100x, but if it's blurry, cloudy, or greyed out, i'd go with something with 16x that is clearer and dependable backed by a great warranty and a reputation of great customer support, just in case, and holds it's value.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.