Sighting in Question

Warangel

I do not want to sound like an idiot but have just purchased my 1st new scope in about 20 years, I bought a Leupold vx3. With the purchase i recieved 2 of thier cds dials for the deer and elk loads I hunt with. My question is when I hit the range this weekend to sight in, do I use the stock elevation dial to sight in? then remount the cds dial? I have read many threads on how to use the dials when shooting, which I will do before hunting, but can't find any info on if it changes how the rifle is sighted in.
Thanks for any input, its appreciated!

Ok, so with CDS dials I sight gun in, remove dial and set it back to say "2" when it is reset if the gun is sighted in at 200 yards?

Did you have the CDS dials made yet? And if so, are they based on actual drop data, or data assumed from factory load specs, or ?

You can sight in with your original dial, then swap the CDS in place. If not, you'll still have to re-align your CDS dial once you get sighted in, so you really don't save a step by installing the CDS now.

Awesome, thanks for that. I was thinking that, got it dialed in this weekend at the range. The dials were made for each specific load I shoot and seemed to work like a charm from the 200yd to 500 yd range I was in the kill zone. Not compfortable shooting past 500 yet, but someday.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.