Sight in distance

I just bought a .357 mag and was wondering what most of you sight them in for to be dead on (no scope not long range).

About the same as magman mentioned.
After you choose a sight-in distance then check your point of impact at varying distances 15-20 yards & max range so you know exactly the drop at given range you will encounter in the field

I zeroed my scoped 10 inch T/C Contender 357 mag shooting 180 gr Hornady XTP's with 13.5 grs H-110 at 100 yards. It shoots about 2 inches high at 50 yards and about 7 inches low at 150 yards. I popped a doe with it at 107 yards this year. It did a number on her. It depends on what bullet you are shooting and what velocity. A 125 gr bullet at around 1450 fps from a revolver shoots pretty flat out to about 75 yards so I would sight in at 50 yards. With a 158 gr doing around 1250 fps I would still sight in at about 50 yards it will only be at most about 3/4 to 1 inch high at 25 yards. It all depends on what you are going to be using the pistol for. Self protection from humans, I would get a good factory loaded 125 gr HP (to satisfy any lawyer when you have to go to court for defending yourself), and practice shooting and zero in at about 12 yards. Two center mass and one in the head. If it is for protection from something like a bear, you are kidding your self, get a bigger gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts