Sierra SPBT

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by lorvan, Mar 14, 2008.

1. lorvan

lorvan Well-Known Member

I have to ask two questions.
    I tried to use the Sierra MK 168 grains in my 308 and in my 3006 for hunting. But almost every time I was not able to stop the animals shooted mainly behind the shoulder, in the lung or so on and in genuary i had tu use my Dachshund Teckel for find the wounded deer ( five hundred meters in the wood down the hill).
    So I decided to use the Sierra SPBT, in 150 grains for my 308 ( Sauer 202 Jagdmatch ) and in 165 grains for my 3006 (mauser action and Lothar Walther barrel 1:12 ) but they are not so accurate as the MK ones..
    Any of you has ever used this bullet for LR hunting? And instead what other kind of bullet should I use? ( A-Max? but i do not know as they work.. )

Thank you... Lorenzo

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Just a thought

I had my wife shooting 168 BTSP out of her 308 with no issues out to 700 yds.

I have some 168 A-Max but I have not loded them up yet. Everything I have read or seen though makes me think they are going to be GREAT!

I shot a deer about a year ago with a 175g SMK right through the shoulder at 267yds and it droped were it stood. I dont know that much about bullets but at the time this made sence to me. The 175g SMK was designed for targets and the military uses it for men. So I though to get the bullet to expand quick shoot a thicker bone. It worked at 267 but who knows on longer shots.

Just my experences

3. justahunter

justahunter New Member

ICAN, is that a typo or did you mean to say your wife is shooting out to 700 yeards? If it isn't a typo, you have one mean wife.

4. lorvan

lorvan Well-Known Member

A wife very best that may one... :-(

5. Chopaka81

Chopaka81 Well-Known Member

Try the Nosler 165gr BT or AB bullets, or perhaps the Hornady 165gr IB or SST bullets. It appears that both manufactures offer 150gr & 180gr versions of these bullets too.
    Don