Sierra Matchkings for hunting

dave...., that was real mean, i mean you gave the thread ,sooo! i have to read it right? 4 bottles of visine later, i wonder, it does give a new meaning to the word entrenched.aaahh well, it was funny at times, jimm

Here is my rule of thumb. If the animal is within 250 yards, I use the Nosler 165 in my 308. If it's beyond that, I use the SMKs. I think the Nosler's expand a bit better at high velocities (short ranges), but they track about 1 moa to the right and 2 moa down from a 168 SMK so I'm not confident with them beyond about 250-300 yds.

My solution is to chamber a Nosler and then have SMK's underneath it. If it's a short shot I use the round in the chamber. If it's long, I pop that round out of the chamber and cycle an SMK in there.

SMK's definitely work though. I personally think that their ballistics get better as they scrub some velocity.

Yellowjacket sounds to me like they worked just find I have shot and have seen shot hunderds of deer. double lung hits almost always run aways before they drop. You start breaking shoulders and spines they start to drop in there tracks.

I have shot deer with the 180gr match kings and they have work well.

P. Dog Shooter, you are exactly correct and that is the reason I was saying my sample was to small to make an accurate conclusion. However, with the imput received here, I belive I can expect the Matchkings to dependably keep putting them down. Thanks.

Yellowjacket said "but all the whitetail seemed to run about the max distance of 50 - 70 yards with double lung hits"

I don't believe it matters what you shoot a whitetail with if you double lung them, they will run 50-70 yards. I have hit them with a 30-06 150gr PSP, a 50 cal round ball and a 12 ga slug, same result every time. Not a case of bullet failure, just physiology. It takes time for a lung shot to work and they generally like to spend that time running.

Dave, Quick question. I read a couple hundred post from the other site you gave link to and did a search here and would it be correct to say that they are not very affective at 200yds or less?

I have no clue or opinion just very curious. everyone who has used them said they are great at the longer ranges yet there were many who shot at the shorter ranges and felt they were not as affective.

I don't know if you get a chance to shoot at such ranges (less than 200yrds) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif lololo, but what are your opinions for them at the closer ranges?

I have a 300 rsaum and just got a 308 win and thinking of trying them this year for game out of curiosity. But my ranges in areas that I could use a rifle would be max 400yrds more in the 100-200 range as an honest average.

Also doing a black bear hunt this fall do ya think the 168 mk's would work in the 308? It will be very close range as a rule under 50yds. If ya think they'd work, I'd give um a try. Its easier to work up one load for all my shootin then to mess with several when at all possible. Thanks

Killed a fine black bear boar at about 40 ft and a smaller sow at about 30 ft with the 175. Lots of deer at ranges closer than 200 yards...mostly head shots at those ranges but a few to the spine and some double lungs too... I don't seem to notice any difference in range as far a killing ability...

Again just curious no thought either way, but why head shots and not a standard chest shot? Is it for bullet performance or just the angle of the game and only shot presented or something totaly different? Again just curious. Thanks, Ben

They're a lot easier to clean when head shot and folks don't comlain of meat loss. I give the critters away and I field dress them before taking them to their new home.

I can field dress a head shot deer in a minute or two and not get blood on anything other than my hands. It also helps to keep the reamining deer in the area when the primary target just flops to the ground without running. Cull shooting does for multiple kills.

Ya know I never really thought about shot placement for cleaning considerations but you are correct. bullets make it a huge mess and project for cleaning when shot in the chest, This year my daughter shot hers, (her first 8 pointer) well i won't say where /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but it still only went 80yds at best and it was one of the easiest ones i have ever cleaned, i remember commenting on not getting anything but the knife bloody. As I said never thought about it this way.

I have found that head shot deer don't bleed out as well and leave alot more blood on the cutting table. Thats why I take the lung shot and let them bleed out as they run.

[ QUOTE ]

I never said these bullets wouldn't work. I just think there are better, more effecient hunting bullets out there. I will choose to use these.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur..I will never use them for hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Recent Posts