Sierra Matchkings for hunting

yellowjacket

Can someone recall how to search the very large thread on hunting with the matchknings. I have not had much luck with my search efforts. Thanks.

Don't know about the post your referring to, but I can tell you what I witnissed this weekend.

A couple of my friends and I went out to shoot. We set up targets out to 300 and at 300 we set about 6 water filled antifreeze jugs. When shot with my .243, 55gr. Nos. BT, they exploded. Same for my buddies 22-250 40 gr. BTs. However, when my other friend shot them with his .308 using Federal Gold Medal Match ammo with the 168 gr Sierra Matchking bullet, we could not even tell if he hit them. Absolutly ZERO expansion.

While I can't say that I've ever used them for hunting, I can say I never will after this weekend.

HAHAHA.. here we go...

wait.. gonna go get a few beers and some snacks...

please refrain from debate until I return....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

LMAO!!!

Well I have read about the Matchkings in 338 RUM being very good
at long range killing Elk and Deer. So I even loaded some up for my 338 RUM. Haven't heard anything about them in 243, 22-250 or 308.

Sorry Ric I couldn't wait, drink two beer and munch some chips while you read this!

For those wanting to know about using.

Sierra MatchKings as a hunting bullet...!!!

Rule #1

If you have no experience with the equipment or components in question in the environment or application requested, refrain from comment.

I've killed HUNDREDS of critters with Sierra MatchKings... Wild Boar, Feral Hog, White-Tail deer, Moose, Black Bears, Ground Hogs and probably other stuff.

They work just fine for me... 168 and 175 SMK 308, 300 SMK 338, 69 SMK 223.

There is a single exception for my use...the 6.5mm 142 SMKs... I was not impressed with their performance but others have reported they work fine.

THE KEY as with all bullets IS SHOT PLACEMENT.

I shoot, brain, spine or double lung as a rule.

I DON'T shoot water filler jugs at 300 yards with the 168's, they apparently won't make them explode. ( I read this on the internet!)

Experience beat speculation and conjecture.

Okay, who's next?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Here we go again!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can honestly say that I've never used them for hunting big game. That's why I know that they don't work. Besides, Sierra agrees with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

All kidding aside, do a search here, or on wildcatshootoing.com, or almost anywhere else and you should find more lengthy debate than anyone would what to read.

This is actually a more controversial topic than moly coated bullets, cryo treatments or breaking in new barrels.

SMK Hunting bullet debate

VH

Ahhhh, .224 80gr SMKS, I dont think there is anything in this state that cant be stoped with em. SMKs over BTs any day this year.... still waiting for some blood to fly in this "discussion"

yeah I have been sitting here aaaalllll day drinking beer waiting for the fireworks and no one.. I mean know one has enough balls to say something really stupid...

errrr wait .. maybe they did.. but who was it.... and .... wow ...look and the... and um.... cause I can....

****.. I ain't as think as you drunk I am....

the weather is here wish you were beautiful...

Dave King

You have no idea how glad I am you posted that tid bit about the 142 SMK. I use the 200 gr SMK in my 300 WM and the perform just great. However I shot 2 deer this year with th 140 gr SMK out of a 6.5-284 and was less than impressed. I won't say they failed because both deer were dead within 100 yds. but I couldn't even tell I'd hit either one. Both were double lung shots at 175-200 yds they just took off like I had missed clean. Both deer had exit wounds about the size of a nickle and very little bleeding (on the outside). I've got no bones with using the SMK for hunting, but for myself I'll stick with the ones over 160 grs.
Chris

Hey Ric
An old Jimmy B fan eh?
Methinks everyone has had just about enough of this topic?
Weather over your way would be a bit cold for beer to my way of thinking.
APB

This thread is like one of those footbal games that you thought was going to be 42-35 and instead is 6-3....

...wait maybe it's 77-1.

I got those 300 grainers for my 338 lapua.....hope they work!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif (Just Kidding!!!)
If I was shooting moose in Alaska I would definitely have a few barnes bullets in my pocket in case old grizz shows up uninvited. But Bill, these bullets work. If you only hunt inside of 200 yards, or even 300 yards you don't need them, go for a barnes TXS or Accubond. I like to reach out so I want and need a high BC, super-accurate bullet.

I'm a 2 rifle guy, 7STW with 156 Cauterucios and the aforementioned Lapua. Both the 300 SMK's and the 156 Cauterucios that I use are considered by the masses to be match bullets only and not for hunting....but as the saying goes "The masses are asses!"

John Lazzeroni says it well, you can't kill what you can't hit. Accuracy is paramount.

I post something, leave for a shopping trip, and return to see I am the laughing stock of this forum.

I am not saying these bullets won't work. Anything that punches a hole through both lungs, the heart or breaks the spine will kill an animal. I just like to see some expansion. These bullets zipped right through the jugs of water. I would expect them to do the same when used on animals. I want my bullet to penetrate deeply enough to reach the vitals but make the animal absorb most of the energy before exiting. It seems to me they would result in alot of unnecessary tracking. If you use these bullets for game and are satisfied with the results, fine.

Am sure you could kill a deer using a field point instead of broadhead too. With the proper shot placement of course.