side arm for wolf protection

The first time out, my wife put all 6 shots of her newly aquired 32 Long in the black.
She didn't like my light 38 or any other revolver that she has shot. I have not tried her on an auto. She might like my 9mm, but she likes the idea of point and pull the trigger. She might not remember to take off the safety etc. (blond)
If I were to buy her a new revolver (not semi-auto) I'd consider a 32 mag.

She's been complaining about not going out to the backyard and practice shooting. Maybe she'll like the 38's better after more practice.

I carry either a model 19 4" barrel, Model 15 4" barrel or a 44 - (mag or special) when I'm hiking in mountain lion country - wolfes are just starting to come back and I wish them all the bad luck S&W or Ruger can hand out.

My wife insisted on having a safety for years. I finally got her to try my DA/SA Sig and she liked it so much she bought one herself in 9mm. The DA first pull is an inherent safety similar to a DA revolver. I feel she's well protected in the woods, or anywhere else for that matter, except bear country of course.

My wife is kinda stuck on liking the safety on her 9 . I want to get her into a XD 9 or preferably 40 S+W. I really like the grip safety. The thing I like about it is its very secure. And the 3" has a good light rail.

Thought's on the subject matter;
Glock SF G20 re-barrel to use a supported barrel and new springs. 10mm 180gr solid or copper soft point on the +p side, that's why the new barrel.

If she can operate the slide of the G20 she's in; giving her 15-1 in the pistol with an extra 15 on the belt if she'd like.
I have this setup and with the heavy spring's'..., **** thing's a ***** cat to shoot, and it's hard on wild meat. As for a big mad Bear which I believe someone mentioned..., well it's better than nothing, seeing how it usually doesn't turns out great when you're forced to play with a big Bear with only a handgun.

Just my .02
Cheer's

My suggestion is for her to pack the heaviest caliber revolver she can successfully manage.

Revolvers keep their casings unless you dictate otherwise.

If you have enough gun and can hit reasonably well you don't need 30 rounds to get the job done.

I'd rather see a lady pack a bigger caliber loaded down to suit their phsique and experience level than pack a small cartridge stoked up tight. Better penetration.

Now if it were just wolves ....... I would find a good .22 WMR in a revolver .... I have two Smiths in that ....... like them real well.

But where there is wolves, there are likely bears and mountain lions. The bears are the main concern when it comes to what amount of stopping power one needs.

Personally, I like my .480 Ruger and also my .44's ........... with the .41 mag running on their heels!

Best regards

Three 44s

Why not just tell her she Has to have a 500 Smith.
What ever. My wife vastly prefers packin her 9 to the 357 she had and the 44 Special she had. And tho she enjoyed shooting my 480's she wouldn't pack one around.
Most women would gladly take a G23 or 27 to a G20

Oh you bunch of brutes! Just talk to the poor animal! I saw it on tv, it works amazing! Hell if a wart hog and a lion can be friends on tv then what are you all so **** scared about?

Going on hunt in the selway this fall. Wolf tag in hand. Plan on packing my .06 and 4.25 barrel 1911 on my side. 8+1 rounds of 230 gr +p. rooster if I see the warthog out there shall I tell him you say hello!

Going on hunt in the selway this fall. Wolf tag in hand. Plan on packing my .06 and 4.25 barrel 1911 on my side. 8+1 rounds of 230 gr +p. rooster if I see the warthog out there shall I tell him you say hello!

Ah that was just some mid summer jibber jabber. I am more of the type to run ol warthog thru with the skewer and put him on a slow spin over some coals!
Get that tag out of your pocket in a hurry! Put it on the prettiest dead wolf in the pile!
Good luck hunting!

I'm surprised no one posting here has been to Buffalo Bore's website and read Tim Sundle's q&a on handguns and bears. According to him, a heavy, flatnosed, non-expanding bullet in 9mm will put down a grizz, but you have to be cool-headed, and shoot it in the head. When I'm in bear/wolf/lion country, I wear my XD 40 5" loaded with hardcast 180's at 1200. If my wife was going into same, she would carry a 9mm with 147 hardcasts at 1050. I recommend a 9 or 357 with heavy, non-expanding bullets for your lady. IF she has to shoot, make her shots count. These 2 come in ideal platforms for a woman on an outing.

When deer hunting this year in unit 56, the night before opening day we were out scouting and came across a moose out in a small marsh just off the road. It was dusk... Just getting grey when we got out of the truck to take a look. My nephew... Who has just a little too much juice starts walking over towards the moose while I'm telling him he's nuts... And to get his butt back to the truck. About that time... The moose busts it away from us towards a thicket and my nephew says..."Hey... There's another moose... Up there by that quaking aspen and pine tree." I pull up my binocs and thought I was looking at a burned out tree trunk... Perhaps one that got some lightening damage and I was just about to look off further to the right when that blackened tree trunk turned it's head. It was a huge black wolf... I mean big. It's the first wolf we'd seen as we had heard that there weren't any south of the snake river. Well... I beg to differ. We had left our rifles at camp so there would be no confusion with F&G, but I was incredibly disappointed not to have had it at that moment. It was probably 120 or so yards, but I can tell you that I would definitely want a 357 mag or my 45 if I came across another sample like that. That was not what I was thinking when I pictured wolves in Idaho. It was freaking enormous. As opposed to a handgun, I'm thinking a 12 gauge semi with slugs and/or 00 buck would have me feeling more comfortable.

Oh... Btw... We've been hunting here in south central Idaho for the better par of 30 plus years. Only in the last few have we seen moose this far west in the desert mountains and plains. It our firm belief that the wolves in the eastern portion of the state are pushing the moose further west, but it appears the wolves are coming this way also.