side arm for wolf protection

I agree with that, and brass on the ground in a self defense situation is never going to be an issue.Thirteen rounds down range out of my glock 23 as I run sceaming like a sissy from a 200 pound grizzly bear that just popped his head into my elk hunting hide makes me feel better! But there are those other situations where people forget about the finer details of proper lower 48 wolf disposal.

My wife enjoyed shooting my SRH 480 Ruger. But she wouldn't pack it. IMO it sucks that Every company doesn't makes light weight 5 shot 44 Specials. But a 357 with a heavy bullet is a close 2 nd. The 40 S+W is close with a 180@950 fps. Especially with 10 bullets in the gun or more.

From one who ranched in bear country, and believes and experience taught that the only good bear is a dead one.

We all know that 38's or 9mm aren't even good man stoppers, let alone trying to stop a bear in the defence situation we're talking about. So unless it's Mag'natized you may as well leave it home. If your in a tree stand and it comes to a bear coming up the ladder to visit you, well maybe.... But we're not talking of a hunting situation here. We're talking DEFENCE!!! Close range stuff.

That means we in a 911 quickly deteriorating split second decision time under great duress.

Unless your a COOL experienced hunter/guide, YOU, NO ONE knows how he or she will respond to the adrenalin rush of that terrifying moment.

It demands a secure killing (probably one shot) chance.

So don't take marginal insurance! You better be over gunned. And a that means the likes of a 45-70 or a defender shotgun.

Loaded with a Slug first and alternating buck shot (like shooting chain saws) slugs. And you still need to make sure your COOL enough to make the first shot very meaning full.

Now your just trying t **** me off. We r talking about a female going for a walk, jog or hike most likely on established trails or bike paths ect.
I've run off at least 10 brown bear and close to that # of black bear just with 9×19 , 40 S+W and 357 mag. Never even had to touch hair with my bullet. My wife did it once with her 357 with a brown bear. Never had to fire a shot. And I've been living and working in bear country for 36 years.
Buck shot is as useless on a bear as bird shot is.
Most girls don't want to advertise that they are packin heat.

I've run off dozens of bears with the 41,44 , 45 Colt, 454 Casull + 480 Ruger. Only had to kill 2 of them. Shotguns, generally suck at killing real bears. Lack of penetration.

If she don't have it with her, the greatest bear gun on earth is useless. Hence the? that the op posed and most of our answers

And besides, the? Was pointed at wolves. . Ya don't need a 45/70 to kill a 100 lb wolf. An M4 wise AR 15 loaded with 50-70 gr TSX would far preferable.

Re: bear protection

Pretty hard to beat Brenneke slugs in a short-barreled pump action shotgun for bear.

However the Thread is about wolves, and sidearms to me means pistols or revolvers.

The last 3 out of four options sound like perfect sidearm medicine for a woman to use....not! I would rather my wife use a 9mm that she can hit something with then a firearm that she is afraid to ignite! On the other hand my 5'2" step mom is dead on with a Glock 10mm on paper all day and very familiar with the firearm, but in a fight with a bear she does not have the where with all to know how hard to throw the gun at the bear!
Most ladies and 45 colt 410 pistols, a 45-70 or a slug gun do not get along.
I have an ex-wife that ran a 350 pound chicken chasing black bear up a tree and blasted the life out of it with three shots out of a 22lr in our yard!

Since the question is about wolves, a 40 S&W with 180 grain hollow points fits the bill nicely. A woman can handle the 40 without a problem. My wife and daughter both carry XDM 40's as their concealed carry choice. Their is something to be said about having lots of fire power if you happen to be in close quarters with a pack of wolves.

I think a full size pistol in 40 S&W like the M&P or Ruger SR 40 would be perfect for a woman as protection from wolves. They handle recoil well and have small grip inserts that fit many women well.

The oldlady carries a 38sp RugerLCR with her everywhere...Very lite and easy to shoot beside being very accurate! Maybe not big enough to blowem off their feet but definatly know they are being shot at!!

I personally would go for the FN FiveseveN. I trust my life with mine. I think it would be pretty ideal for wolf protection as well. You have 20 rounds in the magazine, barely any recoil at all, and some bullet options that run as hot as 2,500 fps. Also, it is extremely loud, which to some might be a nuisance, but it could also scare the wolf off if you missed. I carry mine everywhere. Honestly, if I could take mine into Canada I would be using it to wolf hunt in January.

Since the question is about wolves, a 40 S&W with 180 grain hollow points fits the bill nicely. A woman can handle the 40 without a problem. My wife and daughter both carry XDM 40's as their concealed carry choice. Their is something to be said about having lots of fire power if you happen to be in close quarters with a pack of wolves.

!!!
Excellent post.

I just got my Lone Wolf 10 mm factory length barrel in . And 20 lb spring +SS guide rod. . It functioned pretty good right out of the box. And it shoots good with 40 S+W ammo also.
With full house 10 ammo it may be too much of a good thing for many women, and the grip is a bit large for anyone with small hands. But the 40 in a 40 size grip would be great.

The oldlady carries a 38sp RugerLCR with her everywhere...Very lite and easy to shoot beside being very accurate! Maybe not big enough to blowem off their feet but definatly know they are being shot at!!

I think this is a great option also. As long as she likes it. Aweful lot of adult men have been killed outright with the 38 Special and most men are bigger than most wolves.

My wife carries a 351pd in 22 wmr. Yes, there are better rounds, but she always has it with her and 7 rounds of Federal 50gr solids, beats a gun sitting at home. I carry my 329pd (22oz) in 44 mag in the woods, but carry my xds in 45acp when discretion is needed. Anything is better than nothing and I bet the noise alone would solve most wolf encounters.

Recent Posts