SHV 5-20x56mm

Browninglover
It was on page 6 of the owners manual. You can find a copy of the owners manual on the NF website. I cut and pasted and put it below. I added the emphasis of the bold not NF.

To access windage and elevation adjustments, unscrew the protective
caps. To adjust elevation point of impact up, rotate the dial in the direction
indicated by the "up" arrow. Rotate the dial
in the opposite direction to lower point of
impact. To adjust windage point of impact,
rotate the windage dial in the "R" (right)
direction indicated by the arrow, or in the
opposite direction to move point of impact
to the left. Replace the caps securely after making your adjustments, as this
will maintain the waterproof integrity of your SHV™

I cannot believe they make a scope that has to have to caps on to "maintain" waterproof integrity! Thanks for the heads up on the owners manual, I couldn't find it yesterday. Honestly for the kind of money they want for these I'd rather buy a used NXS or a Sightron SIII.

I do not know if the SHV 5-20x is the same or any different in the waterproofness of the unit vs the 4-14x SHV.
I am comfortable with the SHV on my sheep rifle. It does the job well and is much lighter than the NXS scopes I run on my other rigs where weight is not as critical. I can quickly remove the cap and dial for elevation or just use the reticle for hold if in a hurry. I have all the confidence in the world in my NF gear and will simply replace the turret cap after I'm finished with the shot and am not worried in the least about water intrusion.
I just thought I would mention is as it is a difference in the SHV vs NXS line. gun)

is much lighter than the NXS scopes I run on my other rigs where weight is not as critical.

Are they really any lighter? The 4-14x56 is listed at 28.5oz and the NXS 5..5-22x50 is 31oz. For me, that's not enough weight savings to matter. Even the 12-42 monster is only 34 oz.

NF website states the following specs:
The SHV non illuminated is 26.9 oz
The similar NXS is listed at 32 oz
The Compact comes in either 42 or 32 obj diameter at 20.5 or 19 oz respectively.

Sheep hunters and the ultralight crowd count ounces and it matters to them. They cut the handles off their toothbrushes and all kinds of stuff to get weight down. A lot of them run the really light Leupold scopes and a favorite is the VX2 Ultralight 3-9x33 with a CDS turret (I do not know how accurate the clicks are compared to a NF. I have my doubts). That little scope only weighs 9.8oz!!! Much less than any of the NF scopes but I think you would sacrifice a ton of durability and accuracy of the clicks. I would rather man up and bring the NF up the mountain and have all the confidence in the world when the trigger breaks.

I would rather man up and bring the NF up the mountain and have all the confidence in the world when the trigger breaks.

I'm completely with you! I built a lighter weight .280AI this winter with the dream that it would be great if I ever drew a sheep tag in Oregon. Topped it with a 4-14 lightweight Leupold. Shoots great. But then I went and actually drew the danged sheep tag!!! First thing I did was swap the Leupold off for one of my Nightforces. Not taking any chances. And I'll lose the 2lb difference off my gut instead. :D

Loosing weight out of the middle of the hunter is a much better plan that cutting a bunch of weight out of the rifle system for sure. It is much easier to hold steady with a 10 pound rifle than a 6.5 pound rifle. Have you ever seen a 6.5pound rifle system at a 1000yard shooting match? Me neither.

ChrisAtl that's the price for the 4-14. Nightforce just came out with a 5-20 SHV. I can't wait to read a review on it! I think it going to be right up my alley.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts