Shoulder bump variance

KJW

Hey everyone, curious how tight you hold your shoulder bump variance. I'm sizing lapua brass in a rcbs match master bushing die. For the most part it stays consistent. But I do see a few that will be .002 difference. Seems like a lot to me. Measuring with hornady head space and Lyman caliper. Is this to much or am I over thinking things thanks

If you are putting different amounts of lube on the case there will be a difference. If your brass has been fired different amount of times it will be different. I have found the most consistent i achieve, is when i anneal brass every firing, and keep the firings the same on each piece. Imperial size wax and a consistent force and stroke on the press works good. I see about .0005 either side of .002 desired set back on shoulder.

I agree with everything that Rhovee mentioned , and also by using the competition shellholder sets from redding keeps my shoulder measurement just about spot on .

Great stuff guys, it all makes sense and gives me some things to try. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts